Oil burning concern

Dannymik

Well I've been keeping an eye on my tailpipe noticing a little smoke coming out of it. I was told that certain oil brands contain some kind of wax that tends to burn and smoke out the pipe. Then you will notice a loss in your oil level and have to add 1-2 quarts between each change. I just changed my oil this morning and used Mobil 1 Drive clean(non-synthetic 10W-30) and it still is noticeable.

Basically my car is burning oil and its driving me crazy. Now I have never worked internally on any kind of engine. Someone at work said that it could be a bad piston? I wish I had a second vehicle so I could pinpoint this problem, but thats not the case here(plus its a daily driver).

Also when I start the vehicle up it takes about 45 seconds for this to happen. The odometer has 75,500 on it. Any takers on this?

w-body.jpg

Your vehicle has pretty low mileage for it to be burning oil. I'd recommend doing the little things first before replacing major components and spending tons of money.

Try dumping in some Bardahl "No-Smoke" and shit like that, or any other oil additives that prevent oil burning. Perhaps that Restore 6-Cylinder Formula might work. I've used Bardahk's "No Smoke" on a friend's vehicle and it worked quite well. The shit is like molasses. If that doesn't work, you might want to check to spark plugs. Finally, if that doesn't work I'd recommend getting an engine analysis done.

My 96 olds cutlass has the 3.4 DOHC and it uses oil: every time i change it the level is a lower by almost a quart. I'm gonna change plugs to new plugs and wires to see if theres any change(it needs to be done anyway) as well as maybe trying some different oil, maybe valvoline.

I use Valvoline MaxLife 10W30 and it works great!

My 96 olds cutlass has the 3.4 DOHC and it uses oil: every time i change it the level is a lower by almost a quart. I'm gonna change plugs to new plugs and wires to see if theres any change(it needs to be done anyway) as well as maybe trying some different oil, maybe valvoline.

I have replaced my plugs and wires and have used a substance called "NO SMOKE" which is like molasses and no different. I'm thinking of using Valvoline next oil change which won't be for another 1500-2000 miles(thats how often I 9 out of 10 times change it). :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

w-body.jpg

Eh I figure enough leaks out and I just replace it that I never really need to change it. :lol:

haha i have a lincoln that did that for a couple years

the front main seal was bad i got an oil change every week i just poped a new filter on a couple times :roll: :lol:

I just turned 150K on my `94 Gutless Supreme SL, and I do not burn anything, and leaks are very minimal [just the average drips that one would expect].

What color smoke is coming out? And what conditions does it smoke, acceleration, deceleration, strain?????

I just turned 150K on my `94 Gutless Supreme SL, and I do not burn anything, and leaks are very minimal [just the average drips that one would expect].

What color smoke is coming out? And what conditions does it smoke, acceleration, deceleration, strain?????

Like I said above that it is noticeable at idle when in park. The color I would have to look more closely, but I do recall a grayish white...more white though.