'92 Lumina Z34 mufflers.

chadz34

I want new mufflers to try and clean up the rasp on the Z34. The car already has brand new stainless steel exhaust all the way back, and is all clamped together. My question is what set of mufflers sound best on the early LQ1's. Post some sound clips of your LQ1's. What I want is new mufflers that look stock, I want to keep the same tips and tailpipes. If you can post PART #'s that'd be cool! Lets get some opinions and clips!

Thanks ChadZ34

This place is boomin! LOL I'm probably gonna go with Flowmaster exhaust.

You're not goin to lose any rasp going with flowmasters, I can guarantee that.

Get a resonator in there if you want to get rid of the rasp.

That's like saying as long as there's seasoning salt on your turd you'll eat it. Have you any idea how loud that rasp will be with flowmasters?

do-not-want-dog.jpg

Edited by xtremerevolution

Lets talk about why they rasp? I have a 96' LQ1 Lumina that has NO RASP AT ALL.....how can it be that the two identical engines, minus a few tweaks over the years sound totally different. The 96' even has dual cherrybombs.....

Another thing is the exhaust on the 92' Z34 is BRAND NEW. My mother put a OEM stock replacement on. So, I only really deem in necessary to clamp new mufflers on and keep a stock look. If what your saying is true, NO muffler can tame the rasp.

Lets talk about why they rasp? I have a 96' LQ1 Lumina that has NO RASP AT ALL.....how can it be that the two identical engines, minus a few tweaks over the years sound totally different. The 96' even has dual cherrybombs.....

Another thing is the exhaust on the 92' Z34 is BRAND NEW. My mother put a OEM stock replacement on. So, I only really deem in necessary to clamp new mufflers on and keep a stock look. If what your saying is true, NO muffler can tame the rasp.

Why do you think I recommended a resonator? You want me to get videos of rasp? We had a guy here, Boulevard, who had a 92 z34 who came to one of our meets. At WOT, the rasp was absolutely terrible. He had chambered welded mufflers, no resonator. Stock mufflers are extremely quiet. Magnaflows have much less rasp, but their sound has this drone to it that can get old.

My car has dual exhaust....and on a stock Z34 one of the mufflers is a ''resonator'', they have different part numbers and are different sizes. So, you're saying I need a resonator BEFORE the two mufflers? I'm pretty sure that's what the 96' has and it's high flow!

My car has dual exhaust....and on a stock Z34 one of the mufflers is a ''resonator'', they have different part numbers and are different sizes. So, you're saying I need a resonator BEFORE the two mufflers? I'm pretty sure that's what the 96' has and it's high flow!

You mentioned you got a new exhaust, so I assumed you didn't have a resonator in there. I don't remember exactly what the LQ1's have in regard to exhaust. The two mufflers are supposed to be identical IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong), and there should be a resonator further down the pipe midway. If you have a resonator, you'll be fine, but if you don't, you'll get raspy.

You're more than welcome to do whatever you want with your car, so don't think I'm trying to stop you. Just making you aware of what I've heard in the past and how terrible an LQ1 can sound without a resonator.

magnaflow or bust also the 94+ exhaust is less raspy due to resonator location look at your 96 to see the difference

[video=youtube;p9kC9k-MxGQ]

[video=youtube;sCmhjnykejI]

[video=youtube;qx1nBzWl5gw]

my car with a 2.5 catback, no resonators and magnaflow mufflers