Gaskets: rubber vs. cork

Myotis1134

Hey people,

Got my new sub-frame cleaned and por-15ed, and I only have to track down a cherry-picker to hold my engine in place so I can swap the frames out. I figure that while I have the oil and transmission pans exposed I will replace the gaskets, and hopefully stop the leaks. I picked up some rubber gaskets from Napa, but my roommate is telling me that rubber gaskets are not the shit. I don't want to put some inferior gaskets on the car, so I'd like some feedback.

Obviously rubber gaskets must work, since they are being sold regularly. That being said, I'm sure that rubber and cork both have their pros and cons. I got rubber gaskets for both the oil and transmission pans since it seems to me that rubber will give a tighter fit, but then again, I haven't done much research on the subject. Does anyone know something I don't on this matter?

i never have either, but it helps with stuff like LIM bolts, which also have a fairly weak torque that needs to remoan consistent.

Um... I have been led to believe that there should be no sealants used along with the rubber gaskets, or else they will leak for sure.

Rubber>cork.

Yes, you will also need to use high temp, oil resistant silicone on the oil pan along with the rubber gasket.

I wouldn't use silicone AND the gasket... The gasket was made to seal it by itself without help of anything else

x2 on that. I think with my oil pan gasket I added a little RTV just in the corners where it wraps around the mains, other then that it's just going to make it a big nasty mess.

Go with rubber.

I made the mistake of using silicone sealant on a cork tranny gasket once. The silicone acted a a lubricant and caused the ridge on the pan to split the cork right in half. Dry cork would have worked, but I don't think you can torque to spec with cork.

I didn't mean using silicone AND a gasket...just silicone alone. I've had too many cork gaskets start leaking after a few years due to the cork compressing and the bolts no longer being tight..it's retarded. Any rubber gasket I've used lately for transmissions always have the holes for the bolts too small and that's a PITA after a while too.

Layer of silicone and slam the shit together. No issues on any of my cars.

x2 on that. I think with my oil pan gasket I added a little RTV just in the corners where it wraps around the mains, other then that it's just going to make it a big nasty mess.

That's what I meant. I should have clarified.