Lowering Coil-overs vs. Lowering leaf...

Jon89le

Im not modding any more of my motor or getting my custom tuning until next summer so im trying to focus on styling for now. And with styling my biggest problem is my stance. Ive got like a huge gap in my fender wells and it kills the car, aside from making the 17"rims look like 14s :lol: So that brings me to this question, which is better, coils or leaf? Which would you choose? Are there any pros and cons about each one, aside that the coilovers are adjustable?. I wouldnt mind having like a big discussion on this for everyone but a quick answer to my questions would do just fine also. :D Thanks...

I would choose the leaf because I know it exerts its force on known points of strength. The forces in the spring act upon the middle of the rear axle subframe, which in turn is anchored to the 2 rather large frame rails. You know this setup is durable, because that's how GM designed it.

Coilovers will exert their force on the thin sheetmetal strut towers. They were never designed to absorb all that force. They could potentially warp the unibody frame. The only assurance you get that your car won't end up with a warped frame is that of a kid in his early 20's telling you so. That wouldn't really give me much peace of mind.

i talked to a guy down in Atlanta for the NOPI show, he had a black pre 94 with orange and green painted graphics on it, I looked at it and i was stumped at how he lowered that thing, i finally found him the next day and he said he had a new leaf made and de arched,l he said it rode like hell and wouldn't suggest it for everyday use. Just my 2 cents, i love my coilovers. Later Jay