3800 Series II ticking near front valve cover

Q-Ball

On my way home yesterday I heard engine ticking. I didnt think it was my car at first, but I pulled over and checked everything out. All fluids ok, and said maybe its the supercharger coupler. Well at work today I was thinking it all out and thought what if I take off the S/C belt? That shouldnt let the coupler inside the snout spin right? So I did that and it was still noisey. I spun the alt, water pump, etc and they all spin fine. So I left all the belts off and turned it on and it was still ticking.

So I tried to check the front valve cover. But I cant get it off. It seems when I got my recall done for the front valve cover, the dealer wedged in the engine wiring harness beside the valve cover and engine mount. I checked another car and the engine harness is clearly on top of the valve cover. So I am screwed of getting it off. Unless, I take off the left motor mount thats attached to pulleys, but I'm not screwing with that.

I did notice the S/C pulley still spins slowly with no belt on.

[video=youtube;0ynCDoxa5ek]

Mine spins quietly still, so I'm really guessing the coupler is fine. :(

[video=youtube;WetULHKQzFg]

It's not this either.

[video=youtube;H1_goqYytHU]

This is more what it sounds like sadly.

[video=youtube;wE5TiVMpLv4]

I wanted to try this, but couldnt get the valve cover off.

[video=youtube;SV5YmscrNbI]

He said he found out it was due to low oil, but I have tons.

Now the car is stuck at my brothers house cause I am not driving it anywhere else. I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow after work probably. Any idea's?

Well, I had it flat bedded to a shop around 6 last night. They will be calling me this morning sometime. I had to rebuild everything so they could hear it running or they would have to charge me to rebuild it. I even used a bunch of my vacation days cause of this. Sounds like I may have to get 92 GP SE cleaned up and back in action.

I asked about the upper intake, and got a remark saying there is no moving parts. I said thats the S/C. But the belts were all off and it still makes.

It's starting to get torn down now. I asked about the Harmonic balancer and it's already been checked they said. :(

Basically they are ripping the s/c off and than the valve covers. I'll post when I get an update. 305,440 km now. If I do need an engine, I'll try swapping one in and getting rid of it. I like it, but it kills me it doesnt have a sunroof and I really dont want to put anymore cash into it in getting one installed.

Well, I went to check it out and they said it makes noise, than stops, then makes noise again. Their tech said it in the lower end and I'd be better off replacing the engine.

They had the valve cover off, and thats it. They didnt want to take anything else off just to find out what went wrong and still say I need a new engine. They said it might be a bearing issue.

Cost $3k for everything. Pulling, installing a used L67, re connecting and re building everything. I think what I'll do is pull the engine myself after I move in July.

Never done it before, but I've torn it down to do the LIM Gaskets, and that was a bitch. I thought I might need a new engine. So I just bought a stand and a lift to make life easier.

Edited by Q-Ball

Well, I went to check it out and they said it makes noise, than stops, then makes noise again. Their tech said it in the lower end and I'd be better off replacing the engine.

They had the valve cover off, and thats it. They didnt want to take anything else off just to find out what went wrong and still say I need a new engine.

Cost $3k for everything. Pulling, installing a used L67, re connecting and re building everything. I think what I'll do is pull the engine myself after I move in July.

Never done it before, but I've torn it down to do the LIM Gaskets, and that was a bitch. I thought I might need a new engine. So I just bought a stand and a lift to make life easier.

Sounds like a bunch of morons. If you had bottom end damage **you would know it**. Its not something you would question. You would hear it, and instantly know you're fucked. You don't remove valve covers, and decide its the bottom end. If your bottom end goes, its loud and clunky. Just go on youtube and listen to vidoes of spun bearings.

Next time you change your oil, substitute one quart of oil for one quart of Rislone engine treatment. See how that works. Sound like you may have some valvetrain noise. If its a stuck lifter, that might take care of it. It could be a weak valve spring (though I haven't ever seen one on a 3800), or a worn or bent pushrod. Whatever it is, if it ticks, its in the top end.

Also consider it could be a hole in your exhaust. Those will also cause an exhaust ticking noise.

Might be worth noting I have a ticking noise that sounds identical to what you describe, and I know for a fact its not the bottom end. I'm tearing down the top end next oil change to replace the pushrods with new ones, and disassemble all of the lifters to clean them and check for damage.

Edited by xtremerevolution

Sounds like a bunch of morons. If you had bottom end damage **you would know it**. Its not something you would question. You would hear it, and instantly know you're fucked. You don't remove valve covers, and decide its the bottom end. If your bottom end goes, its loud and clunky. Just go on youtube and listen to vidoes of spun bearings.

Next time you change your oil, substitute one quart of oil for one quart of Rislone engine treatment. See how that works. Sound like you may have some valvetrain noise. If its a stuck lifter, that might take care of it. It could be a weak valve spring (though I haven't ever seen one on a 3800), or a worn or bent pushrod. Whatever it is, if it ticks, its in the top end.

Also consider it could be a hole in your exhaust. Those will also cause an exhaust ticking noise.

Might be worth noting I have a ticking noise that sounds identical to what you describe, and I know for a fact its not the bottom end. I'm tearing down the top end next oil change to replace the pushrods with new ones, and disassemble all of the lifters to clean them and check for damage.

It doesnt sound good, thats for sure. When I get it back, I will take a video. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

It doesnt sound good, thats for sure. When I get it back, I will take a video. I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

A video would be excellent. We'll let you know if its the bottom end or not once we hear the video. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I drove my car home from the shop. Been hunting for complete L67, but I'm wondering if I should just get a low milage tranny to go with it. I dont have any problems at all with my current Transmisson. I guess it comes down to how I much I still want to put in the car.

I would throw in a low mileage transmission. Doesn't yours have like 300k on it?

Yeah, it has 305,440 km atm. :dance: a newer tranny would be nice. But I found an engine with 170k for $600, but it doesnt come with the the tranny. I can get a 176k tranny for $700, but I really wish it was just from the same car.

Is there any actual way to find out if it has the 3.29 gears from a GTP?