Whats next to fail

dodgethis

Hey guys The lumina has been running well for the most part. I have no complaints so far. I had her tuned up around 85,000 miles with new plugs, wires, filter (air, and Fuel), and PCV. I have to admit that sense everything has been working fine, I have to ask the inevitable. She has roughly 92,000 miles on her, and wanted ask ya'll who had the 3100 block, what am I looking at next to go?

I couldn't tell I have my money on the water pump (factory still) going out or Alternator (Factory also).

What do you guys feel?

Nope, nice shot. I have looked at it, and it seemed the the oil leaking has stopped for the most part. I need to find a write up to get to it. I thought if i break into the UIM that I would have to replace the gaskets once i get to the oil pump drive.

So far, my 96 the water pump is original at 100k, the 97 it failed at 131k and the 97 LS it went at 161k, so that's hit and miss. Alternators, done so many I cant remember the mileage, but they let you know when they're on their way out.

Hard to say. My late brother-in-law had a '91 Lumina Euro 3.1 that he drove 50 miles each way to work each day. He drove it 350,000 miles before selling it in favor of a Toyota Tacoma pickup....

Best I can recall, after the first 100,000 miles, he had to replace front wheel bearings, but that was just about it.

Thanks for the info guys.

AL the Intake gaskets were done when she had about 54,000 miles. I have been keeping an eye them still just in case. I had it fixed with the perma gaskets (Spelling). I do know I will be swapping out my lower motor mounts but that's not a moral imperative that inhibits the drive ability. Hey would anyone have a write up on the oil pump drive o-ring replace, ever done one before RobertIsaar?

Galaxie500xl I'll keep that in mind, I havent herd any moaning coming from the tires so I imagine we are good until then.

3pt1lumina I will keep those numbers in my head just case the occasion come about.

Just wanted to be prepared :)

Damn I just realized I posted in the wrong section, sorry Mods. I need a spankin'

Edited by dodgethis

i've never done the drive seal myself, but alldata does shed some decent light on it... sounds easy. especially if you are planning on replacing LIM gaskets.

post-2716-143689042175_thumb.jpg

according to the doc, you don't even have to remove the LIM, just the UIM and fuel related crap... but the full metal FelPro LIM gaskets can handle being reused, if necessary.