W-Cluster shots

RobertISaar

The 94 CS analog was mine. Floor shift. The 1994 guages are different from the 92 and 93s. On the oil gauge they had the pressure. The later ones only got dashes with no markings with numbers. Then 95 has something different for the new interior.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• alec_b

• tornado_735

• Z34guy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 94 CS analog was mine. Floor shift. The 1994 guages are different from the 92 and 93s. On the oil gauge they had the pressure. The later ones only got dashes with no markings with numbers. Then 95 has something different for the new interior.

1994 is 1994 only due to the airbag.

1992 3.1 CSs up to VIN 325000 and 1992 3.4 CSs got clusters with numbered and functional oil pressure gauges. later 1992 3.1 and 1993/94 got oil gauge dummy.

Edited by ManicMechanic

To add a little, the 94-96 GTP cluster looks the exact same as the 3 3.1 GP cars posted, but the tach redlines at 7k instead of 6k. The 95-97 (not sure about 98-99) Z34 also looks the exact same as the 3.1 cluster you posted but again with a 7k redline.

My original cluster (96 GPSE 3100) redlined at 6250; the 95 CS3100 one I swapped in redlines at 6k.

The UB3 gauge I have starts at 5,500 then goes away?

[video=youtube;OQXumE1nWtY]

0:23

Did you pull it out of an LQ1 powered car?

Nope came off an 89 international that was loaded.

Maybe due to the lack of a PCM telling it what the redline should be? That's just an uneducated and more than likely incorrect guess.

Maybe due to the lack of a PCM telling it what the redline should be? That's just an uneducated and more than likely incorrect guess.

actually, i'm taking a look at the diagrams now, the digi UB3 DOES(or at least is supposed to) have a connection to the ALDL circuit, so it is possible that when no ALDL chatter is happening, it defaults to 7000.

the PCM does transmit the engine redline to the DIC, i imagine the cluster picks it up as well.

actually, i'm taking a look at the diagrams now, the digi UB3 DOES(or at least is supposed to) have a connection to the ALDL circuit, so it is possible that when no ALDL chatter is happening, it defaults to 7000.

the PCM does transmit the engine redline to the DIC, i imagine the cluster picks it up as well.

Huh, so I'm not a complete idiot.

this theory would need to be tested to be for certain, but it is entirely possible, even likely since i don't know what other purpose the ALDL circuit would have being connected to the instrument cluster.

I remember having to splice into the ALDL ckt. for my UB3 swap in the regal. One thing I noticed different in the wiring was the digital gauges had no input for RPM, so I just assumes it pulled the data from serial.

My GS, being a 3.8, with the analog cluster, was marked at a yellow line of 5k and a redline of 5500. The UB3, which came out of a 3.1 regal, had a yellow line of 5500 and a redline of 6k. So, at least in the regals, the serial data doesn't change the dash.

I've never seen a 3800 equipped UB3 equipped regal so I'm not sure if it's different.

Hollander shows no difference between 3.1 and 3800 UB3s. I don't believe they show a difference between 3.1 and 3.4 UB3s in the Cutlass either. Not sure about the Quad 4 powered cars.

Edited by ManicMechanic

something i was pondering on the way home from meijer: did any of the 90-91 Q4 CS models get the digi UB3? and if so, what differences were made to allow the tach to function correctly due to the difference in cylinder count?

then i realized that the tach signal only gets sent once per revolution, so i felt like a dumbass for a few minutes.

10 pulses per second = 600 RPM, regardless of cylinder count.

then i look at diagrams again and see no circuit coming from the ICM to the instrument cluster and realize that the RPM signal also comes from the datastream.

:RAGE:

so, aaron, looks like you stumbled onto the UB3 using the datastream to determine redline, and now it looks like RPM is pulled from there as well.

i took a look at the files i have, and for a 91, a couple of different messages are transmitted to the DIS/IPC:

message A(seems to be most frequent message):

RPM in increments of 1

couple of status bits: diagnostics enabled, SES light, upshift light

message 5:

same status bits as above, plus: VATS disabled fuel system, DTCs 14,15, 24 and low coolant

filtered vehicle speed in increments of 1

redline RPM sent in increments of 100

battery voltage in increments of .1

running total of time injectors have spent open in increments of .015mSec

flowrate of a single injector in gallons/hour in increments of .09375 GPH

and coolant temp in increments of 1.35*F

now, i know the IPC gets a lot of these from actual physical sensors as well, though it may do comparing to test itself/PCM?

• 6 months later...

hope this helps.

the UB3 I posted was from my 94 cutlass supreme sl.

Coulmn shift. The difference between the console and column shift is the gearshift indicator.

Column shift has the indicators at the bottom center. and the console shift has a black plate. Both held with 2 5.5 mm screws