GP owners with aftermarket head units...

supertrick_05

I've heard of the dreaded "extension" kit to let them fit in the dash cavity. Is there a way to NOT have them stick out an inch out of the dash? Or a different kit? I just ordered a new reciever for the Grand Prix and I'd really hate to have it stick out of the dash too much.

Yeah, the local audio shop told me that's what they usually do with these cars, but I wanted to be sure. Doesn't sound that hard to me. Thanks!

NO!

you don't have to cut anything unless it is a super long deck. the JVC 2.5" dvd HU I got is super long and had to drill new holes in the mounts for the dash and bring it out a half inch or so and I still had to use the extension kit. the heater control panel slides out flush with the dash once you move it. its on an adjustable mount already with set screws.

Yea it can be a pain in the ass on some cars. You almost always have to do this on most Buicks. My Park Ave was a real bitch. Had to cut out alot of plastic and metal behind the radio AND use a extension kit.

Damn...I don't want to use the extension kit! Grrr...I guess I'll have to. I bought a real nice JVC from Amazon, but the place that sold it to me said they had a mistake in the database and don't have any in stock, so they refunded my money. I finally found one at Crutchfield as an "open item" for cheaper than Amazon (Crutchfield hasfree shipping) and I get the install kit, wiring harness, antenna adapter, and instructions free! The only thing I had to pay extra for was some kind of relay so that all 6 speakers work...not a big deal. I'm super stoked to get it and install it!

On my Lumina I put a Kenwood deck in with minimumi ssues flush mounted in the dash. Looked really good in my opinion. Only thing I had to cut was the plastic tab for the nipple that slid into it from the factory radio - but it is still partly there for support as I only cut half of it off. With the stock radio back in the back of the deck can still be supported.