Rear alignment affected by strut and bushing replacement?

88Intl

Just replaced rear struts and spring bushings on my '88 CS. The camber is now visibly positive, that is the top of the wheel leans outward, on both rear wheels. Seems the strut only goes one way. Maybe the previous alignment compensated for the worn out bushings and struts. Getting 4-wheel alignment and inner tie rod done at a tire shop tomorrow.

Last time I took a Cavalier to this tire shop for alignment, was charged extra. I had just replaced an outer tie rod and told the service writer this when dropping off the car. Shop said I installed the tie rod somehow that they could not adjust the sleeve without removing and reinstalling the tie rod. Not sure how I could have done that, yet the car handled decent driving to the shop. This time I'm not saying a word about any work I did, just in case they try to make extra $ finding non-existing problems with DIY work.

What alignment adjustments exist on the W-body?

Guest TurboSedan

the bottom strut bolt hole is a camber bolt. the same thing happened to me. you can either take it to an alignment shop, or you can get it close by loosening the strut bolts, and pull out on the lower part of the rotor and push in on the top (it will move), while someone else retightens the bolts. hth

joshua

Did some web searching. Found various camber kits which consist of a bolt with an eccentric cam head + nut + washers for the lower strut hole. I suppose if the elongated hole doesnt give enough range, the shop will grind it oversize & install a camber kit.

Guest TurboSedan
Did some web searching. Found various camber kits which consist of a bolt with an eccentric cam head + nut + washers for the lower strut hole. I suppose if the elongated hole doesnt give enough range, the shop will grind it oversize & install a camber kit.

i don't think you'll need any camber kit....the factory didn't use one.

joshua