get my motor back in 1 week, heres whats done

Aaron

i get my motor back from Gheddis Auto machine in about a week. heres whats done, going from bottom.

new crankshaft, old one was damaged due to driving with bad bearing

new REALLY expesive bearings, forgot brand

bored .030 over.

new forged aluminum pistons, keeping with stock compression

decked block and heads, raising compression slightly

rebuilt heads

5 angle vavle job, new guides and seals

new timing belt and pulleys

old cams, they were in awesome shape do to my mobil 1 and 3k changes

and thast about it, no head porting cuz itd be way too expensiv, so later on i will

one thing tho. it has been a rumor that my cam timing could be off. my car does idle bad, and my low end is absolutely terrible. but my high end is kick ass, i havnt felt another DOHC that has nearly the high end pull of mine. so my question is is will my car be faster or slower with the rebuild? cuz cam timing is being set to stock locations, otherwise he wont warrenty the motor.

i imagine your topend would be awesome!!! as far as lowend i would almost forgo the porting of the Headers and keep it stock, and being bored over it will help with torque..

if you do plan on porting the headers go to a junkyard and pick up an old pair and rework those and swap them out. Just incase you dont like it you could always sell them over ebay or here.

thats why i want P&P heads is for the high end. my low end sucked ass as it was, and i loved it!!! so well see, ill keep my options open. the guy at the shop said he guesses about 9.75:1 compression with about 220hp(without my mods at the crank) so well see, id love to have it make 220!

all that junk is a stock factory rebuild. the only thing im doing to it is the decking that raises the compression slightly. the biggest thing will be how smooth the car runs compared to the clicking i had. it wont be too much faster, but as the guy said, i could turbo this car on 14psi and hed still warrenty it. and thats pretty impressive. and 220 would be 10 more, cuz i had 210hp/215tq stock

on an old motor, on a brand new motor, im sure it wouldnt have a problem.

Yeah its brand new, with higher than stock compression. If you had bowled out the combustion chambers, lower compression, then maybe. At 14psi, Im willing to bet there would be a lot of knock at high rpms

Robby

i know what you mean about thinking you have a 3.4 that pulls harder then anybody elses in the high rpms, and slow or slower from about 0 to 25. it seems like anything i do intake wise is reponsible for this. and the other thing is how many miles was on you motor b/f? just wondering even though they are 32 dollars a peice about the lifters. the reason i ask is my motor now has 125 on it and good oil pressure but i cant keep it in high rpms for long or one or two of them colapes. :x

mine actually picks up at about 15-20mph, thats a 5-speed for ya. and i dont knwo about your rpms, i was shifting at 7200 at the track and it was running awesome, throwing down good times and such.

i had 127k

the guy said 14psi wouldnt be a problem, and i kinda sorta trust him, considering he owns an auto-machine shop. so how can the hondas and acuras hold in upwards of 18psi?

OMG, i have to back up aaron on this. Your compression vs boost holds no water...at all. You can design a 12:1 compression engine running 25 PSI if you want. Its been done, so take your old school ideas back to the 70s and leave the "can't be done" to people with some vision in the forward direction. Hemi head design, central spark plug, infinite cam timing adjustments...hmmm. I would like to see 10:1 and 20 PSI someday. I think 9.75:1 and 14 PSI would be pushing it for the stock rods but thats about it now that he has forged pistons. If that crank is balanced and he breaks it in properly, that could be a great base engine for some upgrades.

Head work actually brings the low end up quite a bit, more noticable than top end actually (still gets top end gains).

Id hate to see the bill for new guides. I just got a new set of heads off ebay for 76 bucks shipped:P

Yeah, I understand it CAN be done, I was just saying not with his stock compression and setup. I know theres plenty of stuff you can do to make it safe to run high CR and boost, but just throwing 14psi on a motot with almost 10:1 CR and no other internal mods wont work for long

Robby

ok priced just climbed 350 as they told me they installed all nbew guides, seals, and all 24 vlaves. all new. and my rods are new. it will be an awesome motor, perfect for a race motor, but i have no $$$ left for a turbo, so it wont happen. but id die for a turbo. and also, the crank is all new too, at a tag of 400$ :?

and it is a 3 year/30,000 mile warrenty, and he said he would warrenty this with boost, so long as i didnt run past 14psi. and i quote this from him:

"this is a badass motor here. high revving, high power. i believe this car has a lot of potential, getting this thing above 350hp N/A wouldnt be too difficult. i have no doubt you can pull off a 14.2 at sea level"