89-93 B4U front valence repair?

supertrick_05

Has anyone ever successfully repaired a tore or cracked front valence on an 89-93 B4U car? If so, please let me know how. Here's what mine looks like... :mad:

gp9.jpg

Thanks!

I repaired mine, but I'm a collision tech so it wasn't too difficult to do the work or get the materials/tools.

Obviously it needs to be ground down properly (U-grooved), and secured together (I used aluminum tape). I then used a special meltable urethane rod in a plastic welder and laid a bead on the front and back. If you use regular urethane repair kits, you'll need to use a rigid backing material so it doesn't break again (it looks like drywall tape, but is obviously stronger).

After it cured, I filed the front down and then used a urethane filler to smooth it, then primed it. My valence was cracked, had torn mounting holes, and had a piece torn off the bottom (about 7" x 2"), so I had to cut a piece from an old bumper to glue in aswell. After priming it, no one would be able to tell where I repaired it, and is a lot cheaper than a new one, and just as strong.

PS - I think I PM'ed this to you by accident :lol:

There is worse plastics to work with... this one isn't terribly hard. The only reason it can be difficult is because it can't be melted. Oh, and as with any plastic, make sure you use plastic cleaner before and after any sanding :wink:

It can be repaired with 1/4" welded screen bent to the shape of the back side of the valence and bondo glass it. then the front side can be grooved out and filled with regular Rage body filler. it will be rock hard after that and not pliable like it might be with a plastic welder though.

It can be repaired with 1/4" welded screen bent to the shape of the back side of the valence and bondo glass it. then the front side can be grooved out and filled with regular Rage body filler. it will be rock hard after that and not pliable like it might be with a plastic welder though.

Is that how you repaired yours? Did it hold up nicely? I don't think I'd go that route just because Bondo is easy to crack and break on flexible materials like plastic. I'm gonna talk to my body shop buddy and see if there's something we can do. It's such a bitch to find these on a car, and even harder to find them in good shape!

This is the one I started working on a while back.

I'm using a Lords brand adhesive especially made for urethane parts.

It's a 2 part mix, and I used scrap pieces of bumpercover to tie the cracked pieces back together.

I then "V"'d the crack and filled in the crack, then sanded smooth and primed it with a flex primer.

Just need to paint it now and put it on the kids 92 GP.

100_0236.jpg

100_0237.jpg

100_0241.jpg

100_0243.jpg

100_0244.jpg

100_0245.jpg

100_0246.jpg

100_0251.jpg

100_0253.jpg

100_0254.jpg