Engine Swap Budgeting - L67 or other?

xtremerevolution

Quick thought...Would I be able to use the L67 and matching trans out of a non-wbody? Say...a Bonneville or a Park Avenue?

AFAIK the engine blocks are all the same. You might need to change mounts or brackets but those should be cheap to find. I have also read of some trans cases being slightly different, the Riv ones I think have extra holes for their mount.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• RobertISaar

• White93z34

• Octavarium454

Alright, this one's a difficult decision.

Either I can save $2500 for an L67 swap and get more power, or I can keep doing what I'm doing and drop in a new L27. I have a guy on the Bonneville forums who is offering one with ALL accessories, even the belts, for $200, and 85k miles, without a transmission. I could port the hell out of the new one, swap over my accessories, put in new intake and head gaskets, swap over my roller rockers, and have a reliable car yet again. With Robert's help, I could even tune it a bit to squeeze a little more power out of it.

200 for a full motor that's got less than 100K miles is a steal...

Yeah no kidding. Granted, it is pretty old and not very common or desirable, but I do think I'll pick it up from him.

If it were me... I would not dump another L27 in there, yeah you can port it, and make a little more power, but you have so much more to gain with doing a full L67 swap. The car has looks and suspension, now give it GO.

Good deal or not, you will do a bunch of work to and swap engines around and have a L27 that performs slightly better then stock, I doubt you'd be happy with it in the longterm.

If it were me... I would not dump another L27 in there, yeah you can port it, and make a little more power, but you have so much more to gain with doing a full L67 swap. The car has looks and suspension, now give it GO.

Good deal or not, you will do a bunch of work to and swap engines around and have a L27 that performs slightly better then stock, I doubt you'd be happy with it in the longterm.

You do have a point, but at this time that car is my daily driver. It will be a while till I get the money for the L67 swap. $200 and another $115 for gas to pick it up and bring it back really isn't all that bad. Mine has 213k and in the past 15k miles I've heard a bit of slap/knock at higher RPM's. Its not very loud at all, but its there. I'm sure the engine will run on, but I'd like to have it be as problem-free as possible till the L67 goes in, at which time I can probably turn around and sell the L27 for as much as I picked it up for. With 213k miles, you have those little insignificant problems that pop up all the time, like a starter that burns out as you're at a gas station 40 miles from home, or an idler pulley that shatters as you're out to lunch.

Just trying to think responsibly. I'm trying to get a house toward the end of the year, and I'll have the Jag if I want to go fast. This car isn't rusting through any time soon so an L67 is definitely in the future. The L27 really won't need a whole lot of work to get ready.

x eleventy billion.........no way that I would waste the time on a L27

Don't take out the current engine for another of the same! That engine is a high-mileage testament!

Yeah, but when it comes time to replace it, if I don't have the money or time for an L67 swap, I probably won't find a fully dressed 85k mile L27 for $200. If my Jaguar was running, I'd say to hell with it since I have another car, but its not running, so I need something reliable, because once Kristina gets a job, she'll need a car to drive, and right now only one of my cars is drivable.

Don't take out the current engine for another of the same! That engine is a high-mileage testament!

Yeah, but when it comes time to replace it, if I don't have the money or time for an L67 swap, I probably won't find a fully dressed 85k mile L27 for $200. If my Jaguar was running, I'd say to hell with it since I have another car, but its not running, so I need something reliable, because once Kristina gets a job, she'll need a car to drive, and right now only one of my cars is drivable.

Then just buy the extra and keep it in your trunk in case you need it! :lol:

x eleventy billion.........no way that I would waste the time on a L27

x2.

So what if at 230k something happens and I need a car to drive but don't have other options? I scramble to find a new engine to swap whike renting another car? I know this engine is reliable, but what if...

Not that the engine is slow, with these roller rockers, a good tune, and some port and Polish work, ill be up there with automatic lq1 cars.

What if this 85k engine blows up 50 miles after install? You know the engine in your car better then any other. If you must buy a spare engine I'd just keep it around in case something happens rather then proactively swapping it in.

I see what you are saying about buying a house, I am starting to think of the same things myself and am adjusting how I do things as such, I don't if/what your budget is for Kristina getting a car of her own, but I would look into that if its on the table. That way you won't be in a big bind should anything happen.

I just don't see you being content with dumping a new, identical engine in the regal. and you know as well as I know by the time its all said and done you'll probably have near $500+ into getting a new L27 in the car.

Well I would be using the existing transfer, so the only added costs would be gas to pick it up and an engine lift, all of which would be added to the l67 anyway. I've been content for 152k miles, and the jaguar will be my performance car. Still considering options.

People who don't know what they're talking about annoy me.

The guy posted an ebay listing for that motor, and I just read it, where he says he pulled it out of a 1992 LeSabre. He told me it was a 93-94 motor. The difference is that the older motor used 3/8" studs, and my roller rockers won't fit. The roller rockers are for model years 93 and up. I messaged him to confirm, but if its true, I'm keeping my current engine in there.