• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• RobertISaar

• White93z34

• Octavarium454

While a set of Ported exhaust manifolds, and even headers do help, the main restriction is in the heads.

Can that restriction be alleviated through porting and polishing? How much thickness do you have to work with on the heads before you hit a water jacket?

I once got giddy happy with a very meaty carbide bit on a V12 head and found out the hard way that you should take your time when porting. Ended up getting a new head as a result.

those flow tests were done with heads only. the L67 had 1.92/1.57 valves while the 3x00 heads had 1.76/1.42 valves...

Holy crap.

So the 3800's have smaller head ports than the 3x00 heads, and even with bigger valves, still manage to flow less?

And accoridng to this thread:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=84541.0

My L27 heads flow even WORSE than Series 2 heads do?

Good God, I wonder what kind of gains I could get by porting my L27 heads.

I'd do an L67 even with out porting the heads. 250whp is super easy. I think Dan on here, sl3196? dynoed at 240whp with a 3.4, intake, dp, and rockers I believe.

now you know why i refer to them as truck motors/boatanchors: built for low-end torque and dies above ~5K. the supercharger helps overcome that deficiency, but it still exists. a turbo on the other hand: wouldn't hurt the low-end(could actually contribute) and would add quite a bit on top...

I'd do an L67 even with out porting the heads. 250whp is super easy. I think Dan on here, sl3196? dynoed at 240whp with a 3.4, intake, dp, and rockers I believe.

If I have the engine out of the car before dropping it in, I don't think I'd have a better chance to get the port work done.

Plus, I kind of like porting and polishing. It will be a literal compared to the V12 heads I did last year.

now you know why i refer to them as truck motors/boatanchors: built for low-end torque and dies above ~5K. the supercharger helps overcome that deficiency, but it still exists. a turbo on the other hand: wouldn't hurt the low-end(could actually contribute) and would add quite a bit on top...

You are absolutely right, but find me a better way to make even 250 crank hp for cheaper and I'll be on it.

If I have the engine out of the car before dropping it in, I don't think I'd have a better chance to get the port work done.

Plus, I kind of like porting and polishing. It will be a literal compared to the V12 heads I did last year.

Haha, that's true! Ya might as well

I'm assuming that would equate to low-mid 14's in the 1/4 mile. I'm not interested in much more power than that out of my Regal.

fwiw: your regal will probably run low-mid 14s with just a stock L67....

I'm assuming that would equate to low-mid 14's in the 1/4 mile. I'm not interested in much more power than that out of my Regal.

How much of a gain is there to be made porting and polishing an L67?

I was told $2500 for this project. If all I did was a port and polish on the heads, intakes, and supercharger, what kind of numbers would I be looking at in terms of pricing and performance? Will I really need to spend $2500 on an engine and parts to make the swap happen? The engine and trans can't be more than $1000, so where is the other $1500 coming from?

How much of a gain is there to be made porting and polishing an L67?

I am not 100% sure, but I wouldn't bother with a P&P based on what you said you would like out of the car for hp...I would go, PLOG, downpipe, colder plugs, 3.4" pulley, and a good tune.....It would be very cheap and if the tune is right would put you mid-high 13s (provided you get traction)

I dyno'd 240 at the wheels with a 3.4, intake, dhp pcm, ubend/res removed. I have added a 3" downpipe and 1.9 roller rockers since then and haven't had a chance to re dyno it. 240hp with a l67 is super easy and cheap! Those mods are $200-$300 depending on what parts you use.

I dyno'd 240 at the wheels with a 3.4, intake, dhp pcm, ubend/res removed. I have added a 3" downpipe and 1.9 roller rockers since then and haven't had a chance to re dyno it. 240hp with a l67 is super easy and cheap! Those mods are $200-$300 depending on what parts you use.

Well then, I suppose that's good enough for me. L67 it is. Would a 3" downpipe even fit on a 1st gen w-body?

Well then, I suppose that's good enough for me. L67 it is.

I will add I'm at 175k and have had those mods since around 100k and have had zero problems with the motor. (and trans too!)

I would love to see that Regal supercharged.

Only a matter of time now. Way too much invested into the car in suspension, appearance, and so forth for me to scrap it till the Chicago rust takes it away. Being a California car till 2003, I think it will be a while.

There's a guy at School that dropped $4000 into his L36 MC (Minus tuning for PCM), and its doing an impressive 315HP/325lb-ft N/A off of the engine, haven't dynoed it in the car though. its really impressive. he did a RWD swap on it too though.....darn thing runs circles around my Lumina.

He did everything imaginable to it, its just a block really, but the computer cost him $2000 to tune. Local shop does some crazy things with V6s in general.

but the computer cost him $2000 to tune.

RAPEAGE!

That's what I was just thinking. Can't you learn to do things on your own with a $500 tuner you buy yourself?

That's what I was just thinking. Can't you learn to do things on your own with a $500 tuner you buy yourself?

apparently 2000 < 500 when you don't have to do anything at all to make something better...

honestly, tuning is addictive for me. i REFUSE to quit until i reach perfection.

motor: as long as the mounts are the same...

trans: as long as the mounts are the same...

:lol:

give me an exact year/model, and i'll see what diagrams i can pull up to see if they are identical.