Emission's delete question's.

DefEddie

Does anybody have a link that describes what different emission's systems are present on these vehicles?

Also an in-depth article on the boost and wastegate actuator routines/specs etc.. would be helpful.

I'm in Oklahoma,land of no emissions basically.

I will be deleting the EGR,catlytic convertor and possibly evap on my 90 3.1 TGP.

This is in an effort to simplify the engine bay and wiring,and because it can be tuned to still carry the same emissions standards or better without these components generally anyway.

Any pictures or suggestion/explanation's of the how these different systems work?

My main issue is the vacuum lines all over the place,most of which will not be needed.

Also I would like to retain the evaporative emissions possibly and knowing how the TGP system works will allow me to decide which components I will mix/match to update/upgrade that system as well.

Any rundowns on TGP specific stuff I would need to know would be extremly helpful.

I'm fully versed on how all these component's function and operate on OBDII,and work on them daily.

But I have an abundance of ignorance on the inner working's of GM's mindset regarding OBDI.

on a 89-90 GP you'll find the carbon cannister, EGR, PCV, catalytic convertor, possibly the AIR setup(though i think that was for the 5 speeds only, therefore, not on a TGP).

that's all of the emissions equipment i know of.

i have a pretty damn good understanding of OBD1 and how it operates. specific questions will get specific answers though.

on a 89-90 GP you'll find the carbon cannister, EGR, PCV, catalytic convertor, possibly the AIR setup(though i think that was for the 5 speeds only, therefore, not on a TGP).

that's all of the emissions equipment i know of.

i have a pretty damn good understanding of OBD1 and how it operates. specific questions will get specific answers though.

Thanks very much for your reply,it included everything I need to know.

I also have a good understanding of these systems(OBDII factory trained :) ) but between different years/models they use different emissions equipment and I wasn't sure what this one had.

I had never seen a secondary air setup on a 3.1 so was curious on that-but nothing to worry about it seems.

To get more specific,how is the EGR setup run?

On the new vehicles they are using Cam sync,VVT and Overlap instead of EGR are some vehicles(obviously not these).

What components are used on the EGR system specifically?

Do they use a DPFE->EVR->EGR system or is it an electric motor?

I love tuning out EGR on 96->newer GM's-it's as simple as making a quick blockoff and turning it off in the PCM as they using a motor controlled by the ECM without all the vacuum actuated stuff.

Also have a question about the EVAP emissions.

I'm assuming they have a charcoal&canister vent in the rear,along with purge valve up front and pressure transducer in tank.

Is this correct on which/where components are used?

I would love to retain evap emissions,but depending on how the system is designed and utilized it might be easier to delete and just use a vented cap.

Offhand I didn't notice a secondary air setup on the accessory drive,but i'm not sure if they would use a pulley driven pump on these or an electric pump.

Any insight on that so I can check definitivly if I have one would help.

Thanks for helping with a noobs questions.

And yes,since i'm disassembling the car I will find this stuff out anyway but like to be armed with any info possible.

EGR is a PWM setup. rides a 5 volt wave IIRC. just opens the valve connected to the stovepipe and the backpressure of the exhaust pushes in the exhaust gases. the ECM has a few tables related to desired EGR flow and what to do with it(more spark, less fuel, etc). tuning it out is a one step operation: just set the collant enable to temp to something that can never be reached (304*F)

EVAP: cannister is next to the left wheelwell IIRC. just the cannister, vacuum lines and purge solenoid. no pressure sensor, that's an OBD2 only thing. purge valve is also 5 volts IIRC.

AIR would be on the accersory drive, if it was there. the electric setup didn't come into play until OBD2 was around for a little while. for the 660s anyway, not sure when the 3.8 went to the electric setup.

Thought I would clarify that so far I have found the evap canister under the driver/left fenderwell in front of the tire.

Easy to see without a battery through the rusted out frame section :)

Also it does not have an air pump on it.

I have a factory service manual for my 88 fiero,I need to acquire a factory service manual for this 90 tgp and I will compare the evap systems and decide which way to go with it.

Thought I would clarify that so far I have found the evap canister under the driver/left fenderwell in front of the tire.

Easy to see without a battery through the rusted out frame section :)

Also it does not have an air pump on it.

I have a factory service manual for my 88 fiero,I need to acquire a factory service manual for this 90 tgp and I will compare the evap systems and decide which way to go with it.

That's just a vacuum reservoir(HVAC) under the battery. The evap cannister is at the rear drivers side wheel well area.