1994 Vert: Roll bar lights on when doors open?

George

1994 Vert:

Are the roll bar lights suppose to come on the when the doors are open? Seems like they would.

Mine don't come on, neither does the light on the back of the center console. The rollbar lights come on by

turning on the switches (possible broken ground wire going to the door switch). The center console light

never comes on (possible bad bulb).

Anybody know any common problems, possible causes and solutions? How about wire locations, colors and such?

Yes the lights are supposed to come on when you open the door(s). The center console light, I assume, is also supposed to come on with the doors opening, although I cannot confirm this as mine doesn't work (even tried a new bulb...).

Getting power there might not be the problem if it has the hot tube bulbs in there. They could have melted the contact leads. A multimeter would help eliminate the issues thou.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI that might be worth checking... Had the same problem on my '92 (except my rear console light DID work), figured it out when I was putting the new top on. My two switches on the light bar (push-button type) were both fried, but the lights didn't work even after I wired in a replacement switch. Turns out the wiring had been damaged sometime in the past (some of the insulation had been partially stripped off), and water had wicked up into the exposed area, corroding the wires. I was only getting about 5 volts to the light bar. Traced the wiring back, found the problem along the outside of the passenger footwell (under the carpeting), cut the bad section out & sealed the repair with shrink tubing. Finally, I replaced the two switches and the light bar now works for the first time since I've owned the car.

Use a VOM and check across the two bulb terminals (for the same bulb) with the door open, or instrument dimmer switch all the way bright. There should be battery voltage across the terminals. If there's none, check the (crtsy?) fuse and/or the switches for the light bar. If you have voltage, but it's lower than batt voltage, it'll be in the wiring.

FYI - if you need new push-button switches, try using ones for the rear seat lights from a 4-dr Cutlass or a late '80's - '91 Grand Am. The GA ones seem to be a bit heavier duty, and so far are working great in mine. They mount to the light bar in the same way as the originals, too (just snap in the slotted hole in the backing of the light bar).

Good Luck, and let us know when you get it figured out.

there is some one on here selling switches at a very good price.

funny thing mine had a problem happen a while back and i never got a chance to look but was driving down i-57 back home from tenn when out of nowhere all the interiors turned on and wouldnt go off until i pulled the fuse.

any ideas??

My '95 convertible was doing the same thing when I first bought it, turned out the wiring along the left hand side of the driver's foot well had been moved, and a blue wire had abraded, causing it to short against the floor pan. The wiring bundle sits right there at the driver's side kick panel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look for a broken wire as soon as it warms up a little as I have a 1962 International scout model 80 project in my garage at the moment. From what I understand the power goes from the fuse box to one side of the lights, through the lights to the dome light switches with a ground wire continuing directly to the the door pin switches.

The dome light swithes are grounded indiviually and seperately so you can turn the dome lights on with the dome light switches without the door being open. Does this sound correct?

That sounds correct to me. I've traced passenger door lock problems to the pasenger side footwell. The connector is laying in the lowest point where water can collect causing corrosion and a broken wire. Other than that, the center console connectors can allow one (me) to connect two lights incorrectly causing the gear indicator lights (I think it was) not to work. I did not check to see if the rear passenger light on the back of the console was affected. Good luck.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I finally found the problem- Woo Hoo. P/O had replaced The rollbar dome light switches with incorrect switches and the white wire is not connected so the the dome ilghts don't come on when the doors are opended.

looks like i need to hit the j/y for some correct switches.

post-4629-143689096384_thumb.jpg

You don't need switches. I had mine wired up(white wire connected) and the lights came on when the door opened.

Finding a factory switch that still works is a very slim chance. There is a thread on the board where someone sells new switches.

You don't need switches. I had mine wired up(white wire connected) and the lights came on when the door opened.

Finding a factory switch that still works is a very slim chance. There is a thread on the board where someone sells new switches.

x100000

My ears are ringing...I'm the one who's got the repro switches and LED bulbs. Just PM'd George back, if anyone else needs them let me know.

To help with rewiring the incorrectly wired fixture here's a basic diagram of the wires on it...

post-3396-143689096463_thumb.jpg

Edited by j_mezz