Grim diagnosis; 2006 Monte Carlo LT, 150K; Fully stripped pics pg 7!!

Night Fury

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• 88red4cyl

• RobertISaar

• BXX

Unbelievable... a 2006 and still they can't build an engine without gasket issues.

I've even heard that the last gen GP's have the exact same transmission issues as the 97-03's. =\

Unbelievable... a 2006 and still they can't build an engine without gasket issues.

I've even heard that the last gen GP's have the exact same transmission issues as the 97-03's. =\

they fix one gasket issue only to have another one creep up. If they just left well-enough alone we wouldn't be dealing with all this. The gen 1 3.8 and 2.8/3.1 MPFI had practically no gasket issues at all.

And they still catch fire!!!

And are the tops of the pistons supposed to be dirty like that?

Update.

Went to the dealer and had to really pry to get the right bolts... I pretty much owned the dude.

Anyhoo.

16 head bolts, the two coolant crossover gaskets, AND a EVAP vent solenoid cost a total of $150.17. I'm satisfied, except I have to wait a week for the bolts.

Anyone doing this make SURE you get the right bolts or you'll be doing the job over!

IMO, your hypothesis about your mom not driving the car hard is correct. She keeps the RPM's down, cylinders pistons gain a buildup of gunk that would otherwise be burned out by a WOT run every so often.

I tried to find pics of my 3100 in my '95 GP that we intake swapped. http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=26454.45 There are pics of the engine fun Chris D, Matt Rudefyet and I had that night. :lol: You can kind of see the pistons in the last pic, they weren't very gunky at all as I remember, and I gave that car hell.

they fix one gasket issue only to have another one creep up. If they just left well-enough alone we wouldn't be dealing with all this. The gen 1 3.8 and 2.8/3.1 MPFI had practically no gasket issues at all.

Except both the Gen 1 3.8L and 2.8/3.1L DO have headgasket issues :lol:

And these engines are really headgasket issues, but rather improper headbolts and nothing more.

Update.

Went to the dealer and had to really pry to get the right bolts... I pretty much owned the dude.

Anyhoo.

16 head bolts, the two coolant crossover gaskets, AND a EVAP vent solenoid cost a total of $150.17. I'm satisfied, except I have to wait a week for the bolts.

Anyone doing this make SURE you get the right bolts or you'll be doing the job over!

What? They won't sell you the right bolts cuz they're too embarrassed to admit there's a problem. What a bunch of A-holes. And how did you own him? This sounds funny.

On a side note, what's going to be the real test if you mind me asking?

IMO, your hypothesis about your mom not driving the car hard is correct. She keeps the RPM's down, cylinders pistons gain a buildup of gunk that would otherwise be burned out by a WOT run every so often.

I tried to find pics of my 3100 in my '95 GP that we intake swapped. http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=26454.45 There are pics of the engine fun Chris D, Matt Rudefyet and I had that night. :lol: You can kind of see the pistons in the last pic, they weren't very gunky at all as I remember, and I gave that car hell.

That's what I figured. She has literally never floored it. It has seen 3 WOT runs in its lifetime, all by me. :lol:

And as for those funny pics of you trying to get the rear exhaust mani bolts off.... that was SO me... That was probably the longest part of the process! :lol:

Even the all-mighty invincible 60* motors :twitch:

ROFL

Update.

Anyhoo.

What? They won't sell you the right bolts cuz they're too embarrassed to admit there's a problem. What a bunch of A-holes. And how did you own him? This sounds funny.

On a side note, what's going to be the real test if you mind me asking?

Just the fact that I had to walk him through the whole thing, he didn't know diddly. He was the same guy that tried to sell me 3 different types of bolts, 32 total. :lol:

As for the 'real test', I was just referring to putting it all back together. :lol:

I wish I had John and Chris here to help!! That looked like a blast! lol!

Except both the Gen 1 3.8L and 2.8/3.1L DO have headgasket issues :lol:

And these engines are really headgasket issues' date=' but rather improper headbolts and nothing more.

[/quote']

I'm not saying it never happened, but that was FAR from being as problematic as the LIM gaskets in the 3100/3400's and now this current issue in the 3500's. I've never heard of head gaskets failing on 2.8/3.1/3.8's at under 100k miles, which is not something I can say for the later motors.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm decent amount of progress today. Heads, lower intake, valve covers, coolant crossover, exhaust manifolds bolted back up, etc.

Sssoooooooooooooooo If it isn't done tomorrow please feel free to kill me.... kthxbai

Mmm decent amount of progress today. Heads, lower intake, valve covers, coolant crossover, exhaust manifolds bolted back up, etc.

Sssoooooooooooooooo If it isn't done tomorrow please feel free to kill me.... kthxbai

So delicious I posted it 4 times!

damn! you tore it down and reassembled it 4 times in a day!?!?

Hell yeah! Bought new gaskets and bolts every time, too!