Windshield Demoltion

94 olds vert

First I hope I am posting this in the right section.

Today I started to remove my trim pieces around the windshield. I had several shops tell me it CAN'T be done.

This shop today True view auto glass told me if I removed all the trim around my windshield he would install it for cheap.

I said OK I will drop the car off tomorrow morning, He said "good luck" and explained why he couldn't remove them.

The same thing all the other shops told me.

I came home put the top down and had all of the trim pieces off in about 45 minutes no problem.

Now I will drop it back off Thursday morning for a new windshield.

I need some weather stripping that goes around the front of the door glass that screws into the trim pieces.

Already know where I can get one for each side.

Next I need help with the foam, That goes inside all these trim pieces.

What is it? Where could I buy it?

Mine is all hard and is falling apart and made a huge mess today, So I think cleaning it off and replacing it is the way

to go.

I think I will throw a tarp on it when I get back from dinner, Or clean out some space in the garage and try to pull

the just the front end in.

Also, do you think it will be safe to ride with the top up?

I put those black pieces in back in along with the metal fastener in that connects to the bottom.

Pics of my current progress so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

And this shop does interiors and will re-do my arm rest.

i don't understand why they wouldn't do it?

Well, the first several shops wanted to take a crowbar to those trim pieces to bust them off. No way in hell I was

going to let that happen.

This last shop told me, they removed all the screws and the pieces wouldn't come off. They thought they were on

there with urethane and expected that I couldn't get them off either, so he said If you bring it back I will re-do your

arm rest.

I had no problem getting them off. The only thing I need now is that foam or tape.

I still am confused that more than one shop told you this? Where are these places? So I know for future reference.

Don't go to Mr.Windshield went to two of them same thing. Probably a dumb move on my part.

Most are in the Roseville and Warren area.

The one that is going to install my windshield is in Roseville

The new windshield has been installed. And looks great!

Foam...FOAM...Foam...

I was thinking of taking white packing foam and cutting it to the right size and then somehow glue/tape/fasten it to

the metal trim pieces.

The shop who installed my windshield told me not to re-use my old trim pieces.

For fear It could crack my glass on the doors.

My old ones are in great shape. And I didn't bend them in anyway to remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

If you mean the black rubber strip that goes between the metal of the windshield surround and the glass... it is the same as many cars use on the lower strip across the bottom of the windshield. iirc a member found some stiping that worked from the bottom of a late 90's caravan... and they got 3 pieces to make the individual sides. but other vehciles could work too...

p.s. this is a vert specdific issue... don't forget that the vert section is there for this type of thing!

If you're talking about that brittle foam that goes up both sides of the windshield and just crumbles away when you touch it, I replaced that with that closed cell black 1/2" thick foam weather stripping from home depot on my old vert.

• 2 weeks later...

did they replace the windshield with the thicker vert specific windshield or did they fit a coupe windshield on there. check the thickness of the glass and let me know. I know the windshields are different for the vert than the coupe, just interested in replacing mine.

did they replace the windshield with the thicker vert specific windshield or did they fit a coupe windshield on there. check the thickness of the glass and let me know. I know the windshields are different for the vert than the coupe, just interested in replacing mine.

I am pretty sure, they replaced it with vert' specific, because the guy at the shop told me a coupe windshield wouldn't

fit.

That black rubber strip is missing on my car, I bought it that way...how important is it? I don't appear to have leak problems with it missing, but should I try replacing it?

If you mean the black rubber strip that goes between the metal of the windshield surround and the glass... it is the same as many cars use on the lower strip across the bottom of the windshield. iirc a member found some stiping that worked from the bottom of a late 90's caravan... and they got 3 pieces to make the individual sides. but other vehciles could work too...

p.s. this is a vert specdific issue... don't forget that the vert section is there for this type of thing!

That black rubber strip is missing on my car, I bought it that way...how important is it? I don't appear to have leak problems with it missing, but should I try replacing it?

It's like a hubcap. It belongs there but the car is functional without it.... replace it when you can.

I am pretty sure, they replaced it with vert' specific, because the guy at the shop told me a coupe windshield wouldn't

fit.

????? COUPE AND VERT WINDSHIELDS ARE THE SAME GLASS.