3800 fuel economy

Imp558

I guess in theory my ghetto scrubber may not have done anything. It could have just been that it didn't smoke a bunch? I felt better about it because I live in a very small suburban borough where I'm the only gearhead and they don't approve of my NUDIST ACTIVITIES already.

possible.....

Only INSIDE the house. I was more referring to things like: Car collection, air tools, Kayak in the yard, Mini BMX track, ect.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Imp558

• RobertISaar

• xtremerevolution

• Night Fury

New MAP, new front O2, cleaned MAF, new CTS, new air filter, tested IAT - ok, cleaned air box, throttle body, and air intake tube. Ran seafoam, pulled all 4 wheels and all are rolling free, all tires at 35PSI. Checked codes - none, plugs and wires are 6mo old and the mileage was the same before and after I did them. Did my economy again and it's still 15 MPG!!! Now I'm thinking about a plugged converter, but it doesn't stink or anything. I have been running Citgo 89 gas and kept it the same because it's a block from home. Tomorrow I guess I'll get gas at Sheetz since they are from another refinery and see if it's possibly the fuel, I guess? If that doesn't work I'm taking it to my pastor for an exorcism or something. I'll also clean and check my plugs, DAMN! I should have done that while the O2 sensor was out of the way!

The 3800 in my LTZ got about 15 around town as well... It used to get higher, and then it just mysteriously dropped off... I did the plugs and wires and checked out all the sensors, and I never did find anything wrong with it, and it ran great... The cat was pretty much my last resort, but I sold it before I ever got around to replacing it...

I'll change fuels, tune the PCM, test the coil primaries with a meter. and clean the plugs (damn cyl 4 pointed right at that O2). I'm also looking at some cheezy software to watch real time data, maybe I can see something there because my scantool doesn't do that. I could have bought a cheap laptop with what I've spent on poor fuel economy. I'd love to hollow out the converter "um, I mean..replace it" and see if the muffler might be full of converter shrapnel. I wish my pressure gauge set would do a leakdown test.

I'm curious about this. There is a guy I know who boasts 32mpg/hwy out of his 3800, yet, I have never broken 30mpg/hwy in my 3100. I got 32mpg once out of my '91 CS 3.1, but that's the best I've ever done.

I'm curious about this. There is a guy I know who boasts 32mpg/hwy out of his 3800, yet, I have never broken 30mpg/hwy in my 3100. I got 32mpg once out of my '91 CS 3.1, but that's the best I've ever done.

i RARELY get less than 30MPG with the MC...

I didn't have a problem with cyl 4 spark plug, #2 was more of a bitch

It was spring but I think it was #4 that points right at the O2 sensor. 2 or 4 it sucked.

Evap problems?

Not sure if EVAP problems would cause bad fuel economy. If anything, you'd be getting an SES code from an evap leak.

EVAP problems can cause HUMONGOUS fuel economy drops.

Evap problems?

Not sure if EVAP problems would cause bad fuel economy. If anything, you'd be getting an SES code from an evap leak.

Would that include a bad gas cap?

Evap problems?

your fuel tank wouldn't build up the pressure that help the CC purge, so yeah...

Evap problems?

your fuel tank wouldn't build up the pressure that help the CC purge, so yeah...

CC? And I'm off to find (a new gas cap!)

Evap problems?

I win!

I checked the fuel pressure around June and it was good. I'm up to 18 MPG now so something is working. I believe the fuel from United Refining contains no Ethenol but I may be wrong. Where I'm at It's Citgo and Kwik-Fill gasoline. Sheetz may contain up to 10%, and I just got 16 MPG on their gas.