1badtgp

Here's the deal. I'm going to mod the hell outta my car, because it's rare and fun. But I need to have the car runnig while I build an engine. I have a 2.8 v-6 out of my old 89 SE that I turned into a parts car. The oil pump went and it spun a rod bearing, but othersie it's in good shape. Can I use this to build the engine for the TGP? I mean, is the block and heads the same? That's really all that will get re used. Thanks.

Guest TurboSedan

i'm not 100% sure, but i'm guessing they are the same. sorry i can't give you a 100% sure answer tho....i think Shawn would know - this topic was discussed a little last week or the week before....

also, while we're on the topic of 2.8 vs. 3.1 --- i wondering the rod/stroke ratio on the 2.8 vs. the 3.1. would a turbo 2.8 rev higher/faster? or would the increased dispacement of a 3.1 outweigh any better rod/stroke ratio advantages the 2.8 may have?

joshua

The only difference between the 2.8 and 3.1 (as long as both are post 86') would be the crank and pistons. Otherwise, the blocks are the same. The injectors might be different, I'm not sure about that, though.

Look for the topic from a few weeks ago about a TGP block. It'll tell you the differences between a normal 3.1 and a turbo 3.1. The NA 3.1 and the 2.8 are pretty much the same, except for the shorter stroke length. But that thread will tell you most of the differences. Of course if you're not going to run the turbo on the temp. engine, then it's not that big of a deal.