Another torque mount bites the dust

xtremerevolution

After lurking over this topic for a few days it just occurred to me that your strut braces are all pressed end tube, Is it possible that this is allowing a bit more flex than stock considering the tube can flex quite a bit?

might be an idea to look into?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Crazy K

• Imp558

• White93z34

Huh, I saw that too, guess it would depend on the wall thickness? Tube is supposedly stronger than rod. Perhaps heating the first 6 inches to 850 or so and quenching it to harden them and reduce the flex. Also, on the original topic, would it be possible to just take all the upper engine mounting and the upper core support from a '96 and upgrade it to the stronger mounts? Not sure if that core support would bolt up to the car.

ya, It just seemed a little thin from where the ends are pressed, and there looks to be a bit of off squashing near the tower on the right one, unsure of the strength of something like that

are you referring to the strut tower bar? if so, I made that myself as this car didn't come with one. it made a huge difference.

i was waiting for that one...

not the one across the top, it looks ok actually, it's the ones down to the rad support i'm talking about, thats your forward and reverse flex. though I think the general idea behind my thought was the same as a previous poster asking about the hood flexing or something of the sort... though i'm not sure that would even happen:-/

on second thought, could it also be possible that you've not got enough flex in the body? kuz having all stock equipment if you stiffen up your rear end and the car doesn't have enough give in the rear end, all kinds of bits in the front can start to give you trouble... and for what it's worth I could be 100% out of my mind and none of this will make sense to anyone but me :-P... but it's more ideas to work off of...

I would definitely give the double torque mount deal a whirl either way,

I like the way it looks, this is pretty much what I have planned, but with 2 tubes off 2 of the strut tower bolts and tacked together in a couple of spots. But like Mysteriphys pointed out I wasn't sure how stiff it would be after I squash the ends. How are these?

After lurking over this topic for a few days it just occurred to me that your strut braces are all pressed end tube, Is it possible that this is allowing a bit more flex than stock considering the tube can flex quite a bit?

might be an idea to look into?

Those tubes make no difference in engine movement. He added those to the car himself. Regals don't normally have "cross braces" like that.

well I understand that, my point was body flex as a result of engine movement, for instance, if you dropped in a s/c 3800 running 400hp and with a tranny set up strong enough to hold it, if you don't put in stronger axels they'll snap like pencils, as the saying goes, every action has an equal and opposite re-action, the reaction on a car depends on which variables have been changed up to that point, if adding the roller rockers just barely nudged the car over a specific hp range that the cars integrity won't handle without added strength, torn torque mounts and the like, will happen. it's like that with any car, or similarly designed structure.

I'm leaning more on the dual setup though, I was just trying to field other ideas that might help at some point

Regals don't normally have "cross braces" like that.

Only 3800 equipped first gen cars don't have those braces. all other first gen cars do...

however... gen 1.5 3800 cars I do not know...

Only 3800 equipped first gen cars don't have those braces. all other first gen cars do...

ALL 1.5 gens got them

Mine should be a 1st Gen, according to wiki and it had them. But I'm a series-II

Mine should be a 1st Gen, according to wiki and it had them. But I'm a series-II

96 regal?

96 Regal, Like I said earlier I wonder if the upper radiator support is similar to the 95, then that car could easily accept the Series II upper dual engine mounts, which was more in tune with what this thread was about. For that matter it would provide a stock mounting point for the body stiffening braces as well. Looking at the ones he has I think they should be fine though, it seems to me that the force of a launch would be pulling back on them, not pushing on them. But I'm no engineer and I drool in my sleep or when a pretty girl passes.

i want to say yes... granted it might not if the holes were not pre-exisint prior to the 96 model year.

all the holes used for every engine combination are present on all car for prior years and engine combos.... EXCEPT for the front hole for the 3 point mounting passenger side 3100 mount which was upgraded in the mid 94-95 model year depending on the model line. all 94+ cars are ready for it, but to use on a 93- car you have to drill a single hole... so adding a hole is actually easy enough anyhow...

What I was actually looking at were the differences in the mounting points on the 2 upper radiator supports where the engine mounts fasten. My thought was to replace the entire upper rad mount with a '96 so the 8 holes for the upper engine mounts would be there. The relation to the engine from the support should be the same being that they are both 1st gens with 3800s so the entire engine mount assembly including the radiator support may be able to swap in. Thus eliminating the original problem. Just not sure if the radiator support is the same everywhere else allowing it to bolt into the car.

i figured the engine difference would be the kick in the pants, but could a bracket from a SII be installed on a SI or are there no mounting bosses or provisions to allow that???

There are 4 bolts per mount, two of them are recessed into holes next to each mount in my picture (my car). I don't know if somebody were to cut those recess holes if there would be anything there to install those other bolts to down inside there, But it's there in the 96 radiator support already. The block and heads should have the same mounting holes in them between the S I and S II but it would require using all of the upper engine mount brackets and hardware. It should be feasible, and a lot more sturdy than running longer bolts through the stock dog bone and stacking a second one next to it so it can break something else. Again though I'm no engineer and I don't have a series I to look at in front of me but they aren't supposed to differ.

xtremerevolution, if you're interested in looking into that route I can take a bunch of pictures with measurements of everything tomorrow and put them in my photobucket account for you to do some comparisons. That would be a bitchin' mod for a series I!

iirc, both mounts are different on the series 2. the actual mounts are longer on the series 1, and the engine bracket also holds the egr valve.

If the current support holds 1 mount till it wears through, the same support can hold 2. its not the support that's breaking that would require me to add another to the passenger side to dissipate the load.

Its just the rubber cracking. the support is 207k miles old and I used the poly bushings for a while which lasted longer and flexed less. 2 mounts side by side would be fine.