Another torque mount bites the dust

xtremerevolution

Before I put in my poly engine mount, I was ripping through the rubber every 6 months. The poly mount lasted me a little over a year, and that wore through completely. So along with the two lower engine mounts, I replaced the torque mount in March. Well its half a year again, and its completely toast.

For some damned reason, gm decided to use only one engine torque mount in the engine that had more torque than any 1st gen w-body engine (save for 96 L36 powered regals).

Any ideas or suggestions? Everything I've tried wears too quickly. Solid mounts will be too harsh.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Crazy K

• Imp558

• White93z34

I've been trying whatever I could find at local auto stores and on rockauto. I've replaced more of these since I got the car that I've lost count. It only got this bad after I put in the roller rockers, exhaust, cai, and ported the lim.

I'm wondering if there's a way to rig a second mount in there.

pics??? which bushing of the two goes bad?

The bushing on the engine itself is always the one to go bad.

This is essentially what all of my torque mounts look like after 6 months.

IMG_6623.jpg

My engine bay a long time ago. Only one torque mount:

IMG_2661-1.jpg

what if you made a solid metal insert on for the engine side? I see that often where the engine side gets toasted... and think it has alot to do with heat.

Hmm, not a bad idea. I'll see what I can figure out.

Turns out its an autozone duralast (duracrap) mount that I have in there right now, with a lifetime warranty. I guess they'll be replacing a lot of torque mounts for free starting today.

and that would be why I take full advantage of lifetime warranty torque struts :lol:

get a custom poly one made, should outlast most anything or, just keep ruining autozones day.

Poly! Had it for years. Never showed signs of wear. I remember FFp made them for your car too.

I checked. FFP didn't make any engine torque mounts for the Series 1 3800. They're completely different than they are for the LQ1, 3100, or 3.1.

and that would be why I take full advantage of lifetime warranty torque struts :lol:

get a custom poly one made, should outlast most anything or, just keep ruining autozones day.

I made a custom one using fiero bushings and the stock metal, and that did last me twice as long, but still wore out.

IMG_0009.jpg

Looks like I'll be taking advantage of that lifetime warranty, unless I can find a way to rig two torque mounts.

Minus making a completely solid mount, try finding someone to make it out of Delrin. As with Polyurethane, you will want to lubricate them everyonce in a while to keep them from squeaking (however, not near as often as polyurethane).

• 2 weeks later...

2 weeks later, I ripped through yet another torque mount.

I'm going to start trying to figure out how to make the engine side a solid mount. 2 weeks on one torque mount is pretty ridiculous.

just what are you doing to these things? really?

I see no reason why they should not last at minimum a year. One takes me forever to kill, and I have the harshness of a manual trans, and more power, plus a solid lower engine mount.

do you have a failed lower mount? Neutral dropping the car at every redlight?

just what are you doing to these things? really?

I see no reason why they should not last at minimum a year. One takes me forever to kill, and I have the harshness of a manual trans, and more power, plus a solid lower engine mount.

do you have a failed lower mount? Neutral dropping the car at every redlight?

Well, I launch the car pretty often from a red, but I ease into it. I don't just hit the pedal, as I like my transmission and my tires.

You also have two engine torque mounts. I have one, and more low end torque. My lower engine mounts are fairly new (4 months old?), and my transmission mount was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt about 60k miles ago.

Low end torque = fun! What's the point of having a 3.8L if I'm going to drive it like a 2.8L?

actually. I have one.

and if you want to get caught up over 10ftlb of torque thats your business.

I don't exactly gramma by car everywhere, either.

I would like to think that there is an underlying problem somewhere if you are chewing through them that fast.

actually. I have one.

and if you want to get caught up over 10ftlb of torque thats your business.

I don't exactly gramma by car everywhere, either.

I would like to think that there is an underlying problem somewhere if you are chewing through them that fast.

Why did I think that LQ1's used two engine mounts?

I was just adding reasons that combined might make that difference.

I also think there should be another problem that's causing me to chew through them that fast, but for the time being I'm blaming it on it being a Duralast mount and therefore being complete crap. I know not everything Duralast makes is crap, but this engine and their C-Max pads sealed the deal for me.

I doubt I'm pulling the same power this car would have at stock. I don't know how much of a difference that really makes, but I'm just throwing it out there to get a second opinion.

I have a anchor brand mount now, and have used the same ones for 5 years or so now I think in that time I've been through 3 in well over 100k of travels.

is there excessive under hood movement when you put the car in gear with a good mount on? if so that could be in part the reason

I have a anchor brand mount now, and have used the same ones for 5 years or so now I think in that time I've been through 3 in well over 100k of travels.

is there excessive under hood movement when you put the car in gear with a good mount on? if so that could be in part the reason

Nope, no excessive movement. I've tried that in both drive and reverse with the handbrake pulled, reving the engine lightly from in the engine bay.