Another torque mount bites the dust

xtremerevolution

You've got another problem somewhere. Either you keep getting shit bunk mounts or there's another mount broken somewhere. The L27 is far from a torque monster and there's no way it's MAD POWAR is breaking them. How are your lower mounts?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Crazy K

• Imp558

• White93z34

You've got another problem somewhere. Either you keep getting shit bunk mounts or there's another mount broken somewhere. The L27 is far from a torque monster and there's no way it's MAD POWAR is breaking them. How are your lower mounts?

Like I said, the lower engine mounts are brand new (I replaced them myself), and the transmission mount has 60k on it. Wasn't the transmission mount a solid mount?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=78543.0

There's the old and the new front mount. The rear mount was solid so I don't think its quite as relevant.

The L27 doesn't have an insane amount of torque, but it does get a lot of torque down low. I wish I had a torque curve to show you.

The only other thing I can think of is what Ken mentioned, with heat being the cause of failure, since its always the bushing on the engine side that fails, and never on the chassis side.

Heat would make more sense than anything else. The AutoZone ones are junk anyway.

See if anyone has some old FFP ones they want to part with, or maybe someone bought a single one for some reason. The 3.1's and 3.8's share the same mount.

so I checked the regal's mounts. Had kristina put it in drive while flooring the brake and rev it, then do the same in reverse. Nothing unusual. When the front mount is broken, the engine usually lifts. This time it didn't do that. The rear mount is fine as I only stress it when going in reverse, and the transmission isn't broken for sure. I shined a flashlight at all of them.

Any other bright ideas?

:lol:

FWIW even if you had 250 ft/lb's at the crank i cannot see it eating mounts like that. I would have to agree and say the problem may be heat or something along those lines.

you havent thought of a way to fit 2 on there yet?

is there enough room to get some longer bolts and stack them side by side. you could probably even fit 3 in there with long enough bolts, given there are no interference issues

Stop driving like an asshole?

I don't drive like an asshole.

Heat would make more sense than anything else. The AutoZone ones are junk anyway.

See if anyone has some old FFP ones they want to part with, or maybe someone bought a single one for some reason. The 3.1's and 3.8's share the same mount.

Even he says it: the AutoZone ones are junk anyway.

:lol:

FWIW even if you had 250 ft/lb's at the crank i cannot see it eating mounts like that. I would have to agree and say the problem may be heat or something along those lines.

I can, and have, for a long time. It started some time after I installed the roller rockers.

Its not the heat, its the damn owner.. Notice how every other regal out there doesnt have this issue?? Should tell you something..

That I don't baby my car? What about the 207k on the dash? I supposed that should also tell you I treat my car like shit. How many owners of 1st regals do we have on this board that post regularly? I really wonder how many 1st gen regals there are on the road with broken engine torque mounts.

I know I drive more "spirited" than most other people, but its not like I drop it into drive from a high neutral rev at every green light. Actually, I've never done that before.

you havent thought of a way to fit 2 on there yet?

is there enough room to get some longer bolts and stack them side by side. you could probably even fit 3 in there with long enough bolts, given there are no interference issues

I think there is a way to fit two on there. I'll pick up a second and see what I can do. It might just be possible.

IMG_0007.jpg

Looks like you could fit one to the left of that one.

Another thing you could do, im not sure if it would work, but it wouldnt be too expensive is to get some rod ends that have a spherical bearing in the end and get the ones that have the plastic race and basically use the race as a cushion. I imagine it would be pretty rough though, but should provide a little cushion.

Perhaps you can steal a coil bracket/engine mount from a Series II? Here's a couple shots up close if you want to compare them. My apologies if you've already ruled this out. I drive like an asshole and mine seem to be fine.

I'll have to check and see if that will bolt up. I've considered the idea but ruled it out before since I'd have to make a custom mount. Maybe...

Back in 1991 I had a Pontiac 6000 that elected to break the head instead of the dog bone. It seems safer to install a second mount than to fortify the first and have it fail elsewhere. A little custom work vs continued failures? Looks in your picture like there are holes are on your radiator support already but I don't have that generation car, just the picture so pardon me if I'm mistaken. My brackets look different than yours with those 2 bolts inside the holes, but a second one of your brackets may work