Convertible Top Issue, goes down in a flash, has to be helped up

Scott205

Hey guy my 1994 Olds Cutlass Convertible 3.4L TDC DOHC Auto, Triple Black.

Still has the original top, about 86k miles.

Top goes down super fast, but it doesn't want to lift the top in the fully down position. Check the fluid, it was down quite a bit from the full, added fluid. Goes down even faster, but up it still needs help.

Where do I look to fix this? doesn't seem to be leaking at the pump.. does it just need to be bled or is this an issue.

Scott

• 2 years later...

I now own this car that had this problem, (well it still does it on occasion) I have a slow leak at the pump, and when the fluid gets low, it goes up slow or not at all.

I am going to check my fluid level. Now on a forum earlier when I joined people were telling me that the fluid is ATF, is this true? Why would it not be hydraulic fluid?

ATF IS hydraulic fluid. Works great in the top mechanism, and is readily available.

I am going to check my fluid level. Now on a forum earlier when I joined people were telling me that the fluid is ATF, is this true? Why would it not be hydraulic fluid?

Are you sure that ATF is hydraulic fluid? I will have to google that one. Not that I don't trust you, but the manual in the car should tell me what fluid to use also right?

I fill mine with the top down and cycle the top a couple of times with the pump cap off to get rid of the air in the lines. Then replace the pump cap with the top down and cycle a couple more times to get the lines filled with fluid. Always works for mine and that is what the service manual recommends. Be sure to put some rags around the pump to catch any access fluid or it could get messy.