A little intro of my TGP

EMNCFI

So I have been off and on here a bit, looking for parts, ideas, etc. Thought I would share a little about my TGP. I bought this in 1997 after wrecking a beretta in a snow storm. Bought it in Montana, drove it between there and school, came out to Portland, OR and it began to not be the daily driver. It sat for some time not being driven that much, then it had a rash of problem, alternator, ABS, crossover, ABS again, injectors, computer, etc. Now it is finally able to be driven, soon to get new paint, and have some floormats made, I actually found carpet that matched, and the rims redone. Most of the interior is finished, not to new condition, but to good condition I think. This is one of three projects that I have in the garage, so I have to balance my time between them, especially since one is the wife's car. Anyhow hope this is in the right section. BTW, it has 110,000 miles on it, 1000 in the last 3 years! Also the bug guard is going to go when the repaint happens, since the paint is kind of hashed under it, not my doing though!

Damn thats in great shape! Those AQ9s are mint as hell. What happened with the ABS that it went out twice? I dropped alot of bank on a new ABS unit last year and im paranoid its going to go again within a few years.

I should not really say it went out, I replaced the accumulator twice, it was just faster to type that way, was kind of pressed for time when I posted. The accumulator went the first time, replaced it with a prior one, but then found the GM oem ones, and I wanted it totally stock, (except for crossover and intake) so I did it a second time with the GM oem one. The intake I have on it I got off ebay years ago (1998?) it is kind of a cool intake, take a look

wow that intake is kind of cool. I think it would still be better to have that space open for the radiator to expel heat faster. It is the best I have seen using the stock intake elbow. semi ram air style but the headlight is in the way.

It actually fits right where the stock airbox is, the car ran cool in the 100+ we had a little while back, of course that was when I learned the AC needed recharged. I have had thoughts as of late of changing all the stock piping to the metal pipe with silicone joints like on the intake, make the flow a little smoother, one of the best things about it is that the oil breather tube is mounted into it, it has a K&N cone filter in it

That TGP looks good. Those seats are in better shape than a lot of the leather AQ9's these days. As far as that intake goes, I had thought about doing that before, but then figured it might not flow enough. It would be hard to say that for sure without doing some track or dyno testing to see if there's any difference between other setups. Right now, I have a K&N straight on the turbo on one of my cars and a cai that puts the filter a bit lower than the subframe(straight below the turbo inlet) on the other car.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I have my red 89 GTP, which I never drive; currently 7,100 miles and a few years ago almost bought a black one like that but the inspections failed on it misserably..... the hidrocarbons was 1030 and the inspector said it couldn't be over 220! They think the turbo was shot!!! A very nice looking car you got!!!

• 5 months later...

So, I have taken out the Jeff M 160 chip since I heard and can confirm that the car runs too rich with it in using yellow tops, I know someone else has a chip that works with the yellow tops but can't seem to confirm that on a search, who might that be, and how might I get one?

So, I have taken out the Jeff M 160 chip since I heard and can confirm that the car runs too rich with it in using yellow tops, I know someone else has a chip that works with the yellow tops but can't seem to confirm that on a search, who might that be, and how might I get one?

turbo v-sick can make you an eeprom. or eraseable-eprom, with the atmel chip

once you have this, you can change your bin file to whatever you want.

Mine has a Topgun chips IIRC and yellow top injectors. Does run a little rich though.

I put the OEM chip back in mine, but I am still running rich, giving me poor mileage (20 on highway) and a poor low RPM running engine, once I get up to aorund 2k or so it purrs like new, at least I think this is rich running problem, btw, new O2 sensor already installed, I am thinking it may need tuned after the yellow top swap?

I put the OEM chip back in mine, but I am still running rich, giving me poor mileage (20 on highway) and a poor low RPM running engine, once I get up to aorund 2k or so it purrs like new, at least I think this is rich running problem, btw, new O2 sensor already installed, I am thinking it may need tuned after the yellow top swap?

You have some other issues. Are you sure you have 19lb injectors? I have ran yellow tops since 2006 on a top gun 160 chip and my car runs great + gets around 30mpg on the highway. The only time my car is noticeably rich is under boost...which is normal for a stock or jeff m. chip.

• 7 months later...

Todays work: Went through the whole car today trying to chase down what I think is a bad ground. I pulled off the negative cables and took the battery out while I was at it to get at the ground on the block. Found that my battery is leaking. Took it out, then had to wire brush and grind down any corroded metal and repaint it. While doing this, my new dog bones arrived. Got the grounds all cleaned up and making good contacts, battery should be in stock tomorrow.

post-947-143689055201_thumb.jpg

So far yes, and the grounds that ran from just next to the battery hold down to the transmission/block. Still have a hum and strange static on the radio though, which is what I am trying to fix. Have a second radio and it has the same problem. Also, anyone else running these MRZ dogbones, since in the car seems to rattle and vibrate more at idle, which I suppose is from the new dogbones having a harder brushing in them. The new ones were about 1/3 inch shorter than the stock so I had to pull by hand on the engine to get the holes to line up, but as I said, I could do it by hand, and only about 1/3 inch I can't see this being a problem, or could it be bad? next weekend, lower mounts

Any other grounds I should do

Edited by EMNCFI

no, sounds like you got the good one, right next to the battery tray, runs under the turbo. what size wire did you use there? if you mean the stock radio making the static, that is what they do after awhile. the red tgp (same exact mileage 111k) started doing it so I started getting it setup for a aftermarket system. it was neat having the stocker in there for awhile, but now its gotta go.

I am not sure about the dogbones, I have never seen that style. 1/3 " does not sound too bad.

Haven't actually replaced any wire yet, mostly just cleaned up the point of contact on the car. The dogbones are from a place in Canada, they are really tight, the engine does not even move slightly when you shift it. I did not think the movement would be bad, and really saying 1/3 of an inch is probably overestimating it, it probably was less than 1/4 inch

Anybody got some good ideas on the lower mounts, I know autozone has solid rubber ones, and then there is the OEM hydraulic ones, any others that top those 2

I love my solid rubber mounts, I put one in my z34, and one in my TGP. Got both from autozone special order. Its nice not having to worry about the hydraulic ones ripping open again

Motor mount recieved today, had to go hydraulic, as I could not find a solid rubber one, autozone had them, but the "supplier inventory was at 0" which I take it as they are not made anymore? all the same, the hydraulic one has not been replaced in 20 years, so if its a once in 20 thing, I would say I am good. my transmission was replaced at 80K which was about 30k ago, what do you suppose are the chances my transmission mount is fine?