Too Many Miles???

94GPGTP

Is 250,000 miles on a 284 too much if its the orginal trans?? looking at ths z34 has 250,000 miles.. only reason i want it is its a 5 speed.. if its the orgnial trans 250,000 is alot..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 94GPGTP

• RobertISaar

• ss427

• White93z34

Manual transmissions won't wear away like an automatic will. It may need a couple of things in it from sloppy shifts and missed shifts. However, mileage doesn't seem to be a factor as much as how the transmission was driven.

Manual transmissions won't wear away like an automatic will. It may need a couple of things in it from sloppy shifts and missed shifts. However, mileage doesn't seem to be a factor as much as how the transmission was driven.

while that's true, 250K is a lot of miles to assume some dumbass wasn't behind the wheel...

Well who knows who was behind the wheel. But if there is 250xxx miles someone knew how to drive manul and there shouldn't be any problems. I'm putting a deposit on the car and getting it thursday. Will find outthen when I drive it 130 miles home.

while that's true, 250K is a lot of miles to assume some dumbass wasn't behind the wheel...

That is true. I bought a low kilometers car and the previous owner blew out fifth gear as well as wore the rest of the gear set significantly.

The major issue I would think would be the clutch. And like was said previously, if the person driving it before you wasn't stupid. I'll admit, I've occasionally ground a few gears, but nothing that would trash a tranny.

My 284 has 153,000 and third is starting to grind very slightly but still engages just fine. The other gears are like butter. You may end up needing to replace the rubber grommets at the end of the shift cable if you experience poor shifting. That will clean it up a lot.

my old 284's third gear syncro was quickly getting to the point of totally shot. no idea the trans had somewhere in the whereabouts of 150-160k on it.

It must be a common thing. Makes sense to me though. The selector arm has to move to get from 2nd to 3rd, and these two gears/synchros experience some of the highest RPMs of all when driven seriously. It'll be interesting to see what third is like for 94GPGTP.

Well Tomorrow i will find out!!! Wooo Hooo :razz: :razz: I cant wait.. Instead of driving it back im going to trailer it to save hassles that may happen down the road.. Only 24 hours and counting until i get it...

the trans in my tgp had about 300 000 miles on it and was 100% fine under serious abuse.

if its ok when u shift it will be just fine

Kilometers or Miles? or shall i say Metric or American..

according to some hot info from 60V6, the third gear synchro on a 282 is its weakest link, maybe the same for the 284?

My soon to have '89 has a weak third gear synchro... he said you either have to shift it super slow or very quick to get it to go in. I skip third half the time anyways... :lol:

What if you just didn't granny shift and double clutch like ya should. :lol:

5 hours or less. Woot!!

Where is this car? Sounds like ebay. I want to see it Robert.

5 hours or less. Woot!!

Where is this car? Sounds like ebay. I want to see it Robert.

Michigan. I'm leaving in 30 mins to get it. It's off craigslist. U will see it soon once it's titled I'm driving it. First mod is the exhaust. 5 spd with exhaust. Mmmmmmm yea.

one of many "WTF?" lines in that horrible movie...

lol. I was quite being serious while reversing that movie quote. Lol

lol. I was quite being serious while reversing that movie quote. Lol

while that is one of the easiest ways to deal with a junked synchro, i'd just rebuild the damn thing, i'm sure it could use it once you get to the point of the synchros being junked.