Where can I find a stall torque converter for a 3.4 DOHC, 4t60e trans.

Octavarium454

I have a 95 Grand Prix GTP with a 3.4 DOHC and she will be seeing her 3rd rebuild this summer due to massive blow by from my PCV valve (puddles of oil in my air intake tube :frown:). I figured that since I gotta take the motor out anyways to make working on the lower end a helluva lot easier I would get a new torque converter for this car and change the tranny mounts. Now I know the motor produces its peak torque at around 4000 rpm, but I obviously can't have a 4000 rpm stall converter on a daily driver. :lol: So what would be the best rpm to get a converter set at and where the hell can I find one. Any help is appreciated.

Oh and what would happen if I decided to go with some higher compression pistons...

You may be able to use a converter from a 4T65E...NOT the HD unit behind the boosted engines. If you found higher compression pistons...you'd make more power! LOL

For higher compression, find out what kind of clearances you have, and shave the heads a safe amount. If you're pulling it all the way apart, I'd ask some of the guys on here what they know about iron head 3.4 pistons...those are out of an F-Body car, btw. I know nothing of the sort, but I do know the bores are the same.

I know there are places that will make custom converters. Some guys on 60V6 have them. You might look over there or just try to fine a company that will do it. However, 4 bangers with 4T60's had higher stalls than even the LQ1. Here's a list of 4T60 applications with info including stall speed:

http://www.gmtuners.com/transmission/index.htm

Summit sells Speed Pro hypereutectic pistons, both domed and dished. You'd have to find the right one, but they'd be lighter weight and the should increase compression:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1995/make/PONTIAC/model/GRAND-PRIX/Department/Engines-Components/Section/Pistons-Piston-Rings/?Ns=Rank|Asc