'95 DOHC Cutlass, P0740, no overdrive, no TCC when hot

Galaxie500XL

I was going to get one, but lucked out on a GM OBD1/USB cable from ebay for $15. With Saar's files, I can check out everything and then some on efilive and other programs with my laptop.

I was going to get one, but lucked out on a GM OBD1/USB cable from ebay for $15. With Saar's files, I can check out everything and then some on efilive and other programs with my laptop.

if i had a tech1/other capable factory scanner, i could add in the mode 4(turn stuff on/off via ALDL commands, etc) functions as well to pretty much anything. all for the price of just a ALDL cable, assuming you already have a laptop.

computers are the way to do it, the handhelds are just too limited in their capabilities, factory tools being the exception.

• 11 months later...
I had issues with my damn brake switch sticking and ending up with no TCC lock. This only happened after driving the car for a bit as well. I unplugged the switch and all was well. (there are two brake switches, and all my lights still worked so I never dug into the operation of the other switch cause everything worked perfectly)

Those brake switches ratchet in a holder, and bear against the brake pedal arm, to reset, push the brake down a little and push the switches into their holders and release the brake, the arm will push the switches to the correct position. The switches can be moved accidentally by lifting up on the brake pedal with your foot.

• 5 years later...

I have a 94 olds cutlass convertible and it has the same problem you can watch the trans temp rise and when it gets hot no tcc or 4 rth gear .When highway driven it generally wont act up or not for many miles but once the temp threshold has been met it packs it in no more tcc or 4rth gear .Having a gm tech background I am sure I will go after the sticky valve to cure this problem .there seem to be several fixes from sonax some are just a valve that makes contact in a different part of the bore not normally used by an oe valve thus no wear in this portion of the bore .I am still trying to get the correct part number .The good news is I have my own shop with hoist and transmission jack so the labour is just me and a couple of buds( read into that what you will )But I would like to know which kit comes with just the valve.Anyone?

This is a fix-it-all kit...you need the oversized TCC apply piston, and the tool to enlarge/refinish the TCC apply piston bore.

I'm going by memory, so take with a grain of salt, but I'm very sure I'm right. I included a link to this kit, because it contains the part/tools you'll need.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3032-the-sure-cure-kit

Edited by Galaxie500XL