94 CS - rear brake squeal after repad.

DavidHowell3633

I replaced my rear rotors and pads today. I cleaned and regreased the sliders. I used high-temp red rtv on the back of the pads. In other words, I've done this four times on two Cutlasses I own without any issues. I bought mid-grade Wagner pads at Oreilly's. The part number was SM714 - semi-metallic. When I took the pads out of the box I immediately called OReilly's to have them check their stock since mine had wear sensors on all four halves. I don't think I've seen this before. They said that's correct. So, I proceeded. I seated the pads and took it for a test drive. I immediately heard a squeak- squeak every rotation. It seemed to dissipate some after a short drive around the neighborhood. So, what do you think? Just keep driving? Or, should I pull it apart and get rid of the inside sensor. Anyway, I appreciate any feedback. I'll be travelling for the next few days, but will check back as soon as I can.

i wish all pads had those sensors. for some reason both the 94 and 95 ate a set of brakepads in less than 5000 miles....

I did one car and drove around town, on the last stop there was small scratching noise... by the time I got home the rotor was toasted....

as for you... remove the wheel, screw the lugnuts on mildly tight and turn the rotor by hand to see if there is some warpage.

if you want to wait... drive around another day or two and see if the sound dissipates.

CrazyK- I removed the wheel and secured it with lug nuts as you suggested. The rotors are ok on both sides. They are new and while that's no guarantee they did check out ok. What it turned out to be was the sensor on the inside pad didn't clear the shim when I clamshelled everthing together and it was the shim that was scraping the rotor just a tad. I loosened both 18mm bolts and removed the upper one. I rotated the caliper back and that afforded me a good look and access to the sensor. I fiddled around but later pushed the sensor away so the shim would align and seat ok.

Thanks for your help.

David