ABS and Trac off Light on. Wheel Hub??

RZB1992

I have the ABS and Trac Off light on on the 99 Intrigue I'm working on. I know from past experience that it's normally a wheel hub bearing assembly, but could this be anything else??? I tried connecting some good ones to the wires for all 4, and turned the key to the on position, but nothing happened. I don't know if the engine needs to be running for it to be reset - (I couldn't start the car because I'm waiting to pick up the alternator from the repair shop), or if it could maybe be something other than a wheel hub bearing. Anyone have any ideas???

well it's throwing the code, but it's just not deleting the code when I try hooking the wiring up to any newer wheel hubs. Would the scanner give me a better idea of which hub it could be, front or back?? or left or right??

And would it matter if the car was actually running or just on the on position???

• 2 weeks later...

my dad actually did the replacing... I had to work all this past week. He said it was fairly easy... All the brakes need to be bled after, but that's the hardest part. The car's down at my local mechanic now so he can try and clear the codes, (the car wouldn't let him clear them with the old computer)... I'll let you know how everything goes and ask my dad about the swap.

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm hoping that everyting will be alright, but everything on this damn car is breaking down. :mad: If I can't get everything worked out soon, I might be calling you Rob. My dad doesn't want to see this car another day, and we just found out that the eibachs in the back both rusted and fu%$ing broke!

• 2 weeks later...

Bought the car to my mechanic- when he tried clearing the codes without the car running, the new abs computer started running- making a loud humming noise. Then another code popped up for a bad ECM I think it is (whichever one is in the air box).

Could a bad computer be causing the abs computer to be messing up too??

Does the humming noise the abs computer was making mean it was just working, or if it's no good???

And then when I tried hooking up a new ECM, (same numbers and from identical car) the car wouldn't start. Am I supposed to do anything else before doing this??

And then when I tried hooking up a new ECM, (same numbers and from identical car) the car wouldn't start. Am I supposed to do anything else before doing this??

these cars have the learn-a-key thing. Same as CS1138s malibu had. Changing the PCM to a different one may mean it no longer recognizes the key, and you must do a re-learn, although it might just be the BCM....

http://www.oldsmobileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8961