*NOT FIXED* 94 GP SE, speedo going crazy WTF

pontiacmaniac94

Okay, so, I haven't been around for a few months, but needless to say i have a problem.

the car will not show the correct speed, it goes up and down, crazily. It sucks. pisses me off. I want to shoot it in the face.

I tried replacing the speed sensor on the tranny with a BRAND NEW one, and that did nothing for me.

I tried replacing the instrument panel with another one from a 94 GP SE, and that did nothing for me.

My HUD is also going crazy.

HELP!

I just had the tranny replaced about 2k miles ago, would that be a possibility.

Give me all your ideas, i don't care how stupid you think they are, right now, i clueless and at my wits end. thanks

probably the wire to the vss sensor was damaged, and is grounding out once in a while. does the transmission shift erratically while the speedo is giving bizarre readings?

probably the wire to the vss sensor was damaged, and is grounding out once in a while. does the transmission shift erratically while the speedo is giving bizarre readings?

the tranny is shifting just fine. the only problems I am having are with the Speedo and the cruise not working.

check wires behind the radio!

what wires? there are a lot of wires back there.

check wires behind the radio!

that can be an issue with a SCV radio equipped car... but is his?

What is a SCV radiio equiped car? The car came with steering wheel controls. but that is all i know. It had an aftermarket stereo in it from i believe day one.

only chevys had SCV, iirc. Speed Compensated Volume, where the radio monitors the VSS and increases the volume to compensate for "road noise"

Is this you 94 pontiac? try pulling the radio fuse to see if anything changes.

Pontiacs did not come with SCV. Check the wiring on the ICM, those wires like to hang down by the exhaust manifold, and sometimes the insulation will melt and cause those kinds of problems.

I had an issue with a bad ground that would cause all lights (including the cluster) to flicker and go nuts. The needles would go all over the place also.

that was going to be my guess too.....I bought my '97 Series IV for $500 because they owner thought it had a bad trans and it was only the wire to the VSS :lol:

that was going to be my guess too.....I bought my '97 Series IV for $500 because they owner thought it had a bad trans and it was only the wire to the VSS :lol:

I am thinkin that is the problem as well.

I wiggled the wiring for the VSS, and sure enough, that helped. the speedo would jump if i floored it, and had the motor torque. I am going up to the salvage yard either tomorrow or monday to get a new one. Sucks that i had to drop like 75 bucks to begin with to get it this far, and not work.

oh well........i will keep everyoen updated on it.

My car was doing that once, YEARS ago.

There was a loose wire hanging down to the transmission. I'm sure it wasn't supposed to be hanging where it was to begin with, but I re-attached everything properly and the problem vanished.

UPDATE

so it was just the end of the plug was bad for the VSS....so after about 85 bucks, and 10 frustrating hours, all it took was a 2 dollar wire and plug :lol: oh well, it happens. I am happy, thanks for all your help guys, shouldda came here sooner......

Oh, and I got all my money back from the stuff I bought, so I was only really out 2 bucks and a lot of my life.

OKAY, so the stupid thing did not fix it. It is still goin haywire.

The car shows a speed when accelerating and braking. that is all, otherwise, it reads "0" or close to it. it jumps a few here and there on the bumps.

anyone have a wiring diagram for a 94 se??

I've got a 94 service manual but I'm waaaaaaaaay on the other side of town.

maybe copy + paste it somehow?

which side of town? MO side? because I work in belton....

Bout the closest I get to Belton is Lee's Summit. This is an actual manual and I don't have a scanner or anything like that to put it on computer.

....well, could you look it all up beforehand to see if there is anything about the wiring for the speedo and such, and not just "take it to a professional"?

I am about ready to pull my hair out, i am getin pretty good about figuring out how fast i am goin through the tach.....

Shit, I can take a pic and post it of the wiring diagram for the speedo. This work for ya?

heck yah! that is about all I really need from the book, don't want to waste a trip or two for you my friend, figureing you are doing me the favor...

PIC FAIL!

i'm still confused... when the speedo is acting up, your car is not operating in the wrong gear, is it? that would be a typical sign of vss failure as I understand it...

try something.... take and clean the c100 connector at teh firewall. make sure there has been no corrosion... the VSS is a smaller gauge green wire from the PCM to the instruments.

also check the connectors at the pcm for looseness of corrosion.