Can't get turbo off TGP?!?! How is it done???

dbtk2

So my dad decided that him and I would pull the turbo off the TGP today and send it in to get it rebuilt but we can't seem to get it off. We got off the easy stuff like the intake tube, lower intercooler pipe, upper intercooler pipe (that runs to the throttle body), coolant line, the turbo heat blanket, vacuum lines, and the sensor that is on the turbo. We still have to take off the oil line, but that seems easy enough to do. So we started to take the bolts out that holt it on to the crossover and the wastegate pipe. Well, we can only get two of the crossover bolts out because we can't get to the bottom ones to get them off. We also can't get to the bottom bolt on the wastegate pipe because there is no room at all to get to it. So, HOW DO YOU GET THE BOLTS OFF??? If we can get the wastegate bolts off then we can unbolt the crossover if we can't get the crossover bolts off. So if anyone can let me know how you get the bolts off that would be AWESOME.

Thanks,

Shawn

There is no trick to it...work the wrench/socket until you get them off. Find a way to get it in there enough to un-do the bolts. That's what I did. The only thing that helps, for the lower two downpipe bolts...is to go from underneath with a long extension and a U-joint adapter. That's about the only "trick" there is :wink: And the downpipe is the thing that I assume you are calling the "wastegate pipe" :roll:

I had to use your standard box end wrench and a hammer to get the crossover bolts off. As far as I can tell, that's pretty much all you can do!

The lower downpipe bolts are easiest to get to by using a pivoting head ratchet. In fact, I found it was key in making downpipe bolt removal easy.

We worked at it more today and we have every single line and bolt off except for the bottom downpipe bolt. We can't see to find any way to get at it. We got a wrench on it 1 time but the wrench wasn't long enough to get enough leverage to get it off because evidently that particular bolt is very tight. I can't seem to find any way to get to it from the bottom with extentions, there is a lot of crap there, I don't see where you would put the extentions through. We only have to get the one bolt off, and the turbo is completely off. Thanks for the help so far, I just want to get that last bolt off. I will work at it for a few hours tomarrow and if I can't seem to get it I will come back here I guess.

Thanks again.

Shawn

The lower downpipe bolts are easiest to get to by using a pivoting head ratchet. In fact, I found it was key in making downpipe bolt removal easy.

Oh why doesn't anyone believe me? Every once in a long while, I actually know what I'm talking about. :lol:

Here's what you need: 3/8" Drive Pivot Head Ratchet (the longer the handle, the better), standard 3" extension, standard 13mm socket. I got my pivoting head ratchet from Pep Boys, but I think you can get 'em anywhere. The other stuff you should already have.

IMGP1145.JPG

Now with the ratchet pivoted just right, the socket fits right onto that pesky bottom bolt. You only need to use one hand to keep the socket on the bolt head leaving your other hand free to crank the ratchet handle. Even with my cruise control servo and everything in the way, I had enough room that I could have removed and reinstalled that bolt with everything still in place. Removing the cruise servo gives you more than enough room to turn the ratchet many clicks.

IMGP1144.JPG

Super easy! Every TGP owner should keep a pivoting head ratchet in their toolbox. In fact, I think I bought it just for that bottom bolt.

Guest TurboSedan

whew, thankfully i'll be putting all of this together before i install the engine and i have no ABS in the way! i already have a pivoting head 3/8" drive ratchet tho - pawn shops sell 'em super cheap, altho i'd prefer a nice new Craftsman.

joshua

I finally broke down and bought a set of swivel sockets. Those and a swivel ratchet can get just about any bolt out. When I took my turbo out last time it took me about 20 mins :D

Here's another way. Assuming you have the cc off. Take the pm3 heat shield off(2 10mm screws one on each side). Sounds like you got the turbo to cross over bolts out. With the heat shield off you can raise the turbo and down pipe about 3 inches and then the bastard bolts are easy to get to with a wrench or 1/4 drive socket and rachet. Take those bolts

out last.

:D

jud

Well I got the 1/4" air ratchet that we have in there (the 3/8 air ratchet wouldn't fit) but it wasn't strong enough to loosen the bolt. I also got a regular 3/8" ratchet on there, but it wasn't long enough to get enough leverage to loosen the bolt. I am going to try the pivoting head wrench and see if that is long enough to get enough leverage because that bolt is TIGHT! Thanks for all the help, hopefully I get it off very shortly!!!

Shawn