Turbo buick?

Liquid_Neon_00

i did the 2.8 to 3.1T swap in my cutlass, its pretty straight forward

What was needed? and whats 'pretty straight foward'? I know thignscan sneak up on ya and im jsut trying to get a handle on what will.

thx!

well straight forward as in everything bolts right in. you can use the stock wiring harness and ecm too. you just need the tgp chip and will have to change 2 wires at the ecm if you plan to use a stock 3.1T wastegate solenoid. i'm using a manual boost controller, so i don't even need it. you will need the tgp radiator, intercooler, and associated hoses/tubes. also you will need larger diameter exhaust.

well straight forward as in everything bolts right in. you can use the stock wiring harness and ecm too. you just need the tgp chip and will have to change 2 wires at the ecm if you plan to use a stock 3.1T wastegate solenoid. i'm using a manual boost controller, so i don't even need it. you will need the tgp radiator, intercooler, and associated hoses/tubes. also you will need larger diameter exhaust.

bah, ill just make a front mount. all custom pipeing like ive done before... no biggie :P

Starting with an 88 2.8 car, I chose to keep the 2.8, and put on the 3.1T turbo parts. For a swap, wiring won't be bad at all. If you have a MAF car, 88 should mine did, there are 5 wires to the MAF. That's all you have to mess with.

The MAF has the MAT built in. 2 of the wires are black and tan (mmmm beer), clip them run them to the new location in the 3.1t manifold. (These are the only 2 you have to mess with if you run a MBC)

OF the 3 remaining wires, 1 is ignition positive 15a (i think it's pink), which i used to power the boost solenoid.

One of the other 2 goes gets repinned at the ecm to A18 to be the switched ground for the boost solenoid.

The last of the 5 wires I repinned so I could log my wb O2.

That's all the wiring you have to do, unless you want to use the tgp intercooler fan.

If you run a FMIC, you can keep your rad.

sounds ricey

What sounds ricey? a front mount?

Never heard a fmic called ricey, most ppl look to them for upgrades to top mounts or no IC at all?

That wiring write up is EXACTLY what i like to see. So u still have a 2.8L but with 3.1T manis?? even kept the stock 2.8 internals? prolly not as tough but should be fine.

I dont want anything nuts for speed... thats what my nissan is for :P I jsut would like to feel more confident merging or getting ahead of ppl but without finding another daily beater.

Turbos solve EVERYTHING.

the worlds fastest TGP on record used a stock sidemount IC.

also the previous owner of my daily driver piped in a completely retarded FMIC in and I had to yank it out and put it back the way it should be.

If you are serious about doing this to your Buick I would suggest just getting the stock setup including the radiator because its a 3 core and the fan is super powerful. actually it uses 2 fans, one for the IC. they didnt mess around with this aspect of these cars. went all out with a blackstone thats far better than most. especially since it would be way cheaper and easier to just bolt it right in there off a donor car.

That wiring write up is EXACTLY what i like to see. So u still have a 2.8L but with 3.1T manis?? even kept the stock 2.8 internals? prolly not as tough but should be fine.

I dont want anything nuts for speed... thats what my nissan is for :P I jsut would like to feel more confident merging or getting ahead of ppl but without finding another daily beater.

Turbos solve EVERYTHING.

Yeah, when I first did it, I had a 2.8 everything, with a 3.1T UIM, injectors, rear exhaust manifold & crossover, plus everything turbo related of course, but as far as the engine goes, those were the only pieces attached to the engine itself that changed.

I'm in the process of a 3400 top end swap + cam + full 3" exhaust including DP right now that should be done by the end of the weekend.

Turbos solve EVERYTHING.

Yeah, when I first did it, I had a 2.8 everything, with a 3.1T UIM, injectors, rear exhaust manifold & crossover, plus everything turbo related of course, but as far as the engine goes, those were the only pieces attached to the engine itself that changed.

I'm in the process of a 3400 top end swap + cam + full 3" exhaust including DP right now that should be done by the end of the weekend.

Thats all good info. I'll remember that and know who to ask advice if i get balsey and try it. Im trying to move soon, and all car projects are on the back burner till i get settled. but once the nissan is bug free the buick will be getting sum much needed tlc and lil help in passing power :D

just did the water pump today, easiest water pump EVER!