Turbo buick?

Liquid_Neon_00

So ive got this w body buick with a 2.8L in it. Just wanted to throw it out there and find out how many ppl have put the turbo 3100 in another w body. Ive done other turbo swaps and rebuilds, but not on a GM. Curious what other stuff id need besides the 3100T engine?

This isnt even a plan for sure... not sure how long ill keep this buick around... but i like projects.

Oh btw this be my first post here... so hello all!

Yes a regal... so what is different about fitting a 3100T motor into a non T-type car?

Ecu... harness too maybe? Someone who knows about the swap to cutlass's would know what they had to do?

Please tell me your running a CA18DET in your KN13 :mrgreen:

Not a whole lot of people have turbo'd a 3100.. Just incase you arent aware, there were no turbo 3100 engines, only older 3.1L MPFI.

You would either wanna start with a large port 3100 (LG8) or a 3400 (LA1) for best results. Stay away from the older small port 3100s (L82)

Do a OBD2 swap along with the engine/trans swap so you have better tuning availability. Use a 97 PCM and you can tune with HP Tuners. a 97 Lumina donor car should be a dime a dozen to come across..

Have you considered an L67 (3800 SC) swap?

Yes, but i wasnt sure if thats a direct drop in like a assume a 28>31 swap is. Actually i know a kid who did a 28>31 swap to his Beretta and auto to manual convert too. A 2.8 is a different engine from a 3800 far as i know.. different angles of the V itself. Anyone thrown a 3800 into an 88-91 Wbody?

Yes the kn13 has a ca18det in it.

also... when im saying3100T i mean the TGP motor.... i didnt think much about the fact that GM has like 4 different 3.1L motors. I dont know all the option codes for the different motors... thats why im here asking advice :biggrin:

they are both 60* v6's but with the 3800 you would have to do a ob2 swap and i think it would be a lot more work. the 2.8 and the 3.1 are the same i believe. so i believe it is a pretty direct swap exept for a few thing. where with a 3800 swap you pretty much have to change everthing. also i believe you are talking about a 3.1 not a 3100 right

If your going to do a 3.1L turbo swap, you would need the entire engine, harness, pcm, trans if possible (its a HD version i.e. stronger)

Basically the best bet is to rip out everything under the hood of a Turbo Grand Prix (TGP) :lol:

BTW, got pics of the KN13??? Im an ex-B12/KN13 enthusiast!! :cool:

-Bob

A lot of L67 swaps have been done...But I'd like to see a 3.1T put in a Regal myself...Dare to be different.

Yes, but i wasnt sure if thats a direct drop in like a assume a 28>31 swap is. Actually i know a kid who did a 28>31 swap to his Beretta and auto to manual convert too. A 2.8 is a different engine from a 3800 far as i know.. different angles of the V itself. Anyone thrown a 3800 into an 88-91 Wbody?

The L67 is a 90* V6. And yes, it has been done many times. The reason I say this, is you are MUCH more likely to find a L67 in a junkyard versus a TGP LG5.

found this

I just did a turbo 3.1/4T60 swap into a euro lumina a couple weeks ago. It's a direct replacement as far as everything mechanical goes, and I mean direct replacement. I used everything from the TGP including the exhaust as the TGP downpipe is different than the Lumina downpipe and since the TGP exhaust fit I didn't feel like trying to make the Lumina exhaust work. The only thing I really had to fab up was a way to mount the external tranny cooler. Now, electrical wise I had to change a pretty lot of stuff. I can scan the TGP wiring diagrams if you want as you'll need them. I had to change the EGR wiring, extend the IAT wiring to reach the new location on the turbo 3.1, change the MAP sensor connector(2bar connector is different than the 1bar), repin one pin for the boost control solenoid(I used the A19 pin and moved it to A18, IIRC). Anyways, I can go into better detail and I'm probably going to do a write-up on the changes that need to be made. I did the whole swap in one weekend, but I had access to a lift. I had to take out the TGP engine, then take out the Lumina engine, then put the new TGP 4T60 on the turbo 3.1 and then put in into the Lumina. It was a long weekend(28+ hours), but it was well worth it. :twisted: 8)

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11629&highlight=

The L67 is a 90* V6. And yes, it has been done many times. The reason I say this, is you are MUCH more likely to find a L67 in a junkyard versus a TGP LG5.

my mistake i thought that all engines in w-bodies were 60*

A Turbo 3.1 swapped Regal hasn't been done yet as far as I know. There have been several Cutlass swaps, a Lumina, and numerous j-body swaps.

So a turbo regal (besides the famous GNX) is uncommon so far? thats cool... im not sure if ill get around to it... but if the car lasts like it has then its a good candidate for an upgrade!

I owned the Pulsar for 2 or 3 years before i got around to doing the swap.... i blew the stock motor and have a fully rebuilt one sitting in my garage waiting to go in. Havent had the time yet.

Pictures can be found on myspace:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=3834889&albumId=1104967

That should be right to the Pulsar Directory.

The Buick is boring and looks like a pos... and if i do the TGP swap... i PROMISE i will leave it like that.

do NOT do that swap. No. Don't.PERIOD

I want to have the first "1988 GNX Concept car". :mrgreen:

Got any pics of your Regal? Sounds like we both have the same problem of boring and slow 1988 Regals. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So a turbo regal (besides the famous GNX) is uncommon so far? thats cool... im not sure if ill get around to it... but if the car lasts like it has then its a good candidate for an upgrade!

I owned the Pulsar for 2 or 3 years before i got around to doing the swap.... i blew the stock motor and have a fully rebuilt one sitting in my garage waiting to go in. Havent had the time yet.

Pictures can be found on myspace:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=3834889&albumId=1104967

That should be right to the Pulsar Directory.

The Buick is boring and looks like a pos... and if i do the TGP swap... i PROMISE i will leave it like that.

Nice!!

That car looks very fimilair.. Have you been a member on nissanforums.com??? If so what was your user name??