98 intrigue. No Start. Need help

jimmyfloyd

Ok, so I am still working on the 98 Intrigue I got. Right now, it is not starting.

I know the car will start because I have started it, backed it out of the garage, and when i went to restart it, it wouldn't. It is some kind of electrical issue I believe. It had an alarm on it, and I figured that the alarm was messing with it, so I removed the alarm after it wouldn't start, and I reconnected all the disconnected wires.

Now it is still doing the same thing. Here is the issue. When I go to start it, sometimes the starter just clicks, sometimes it clicks once and then stops, and sometimes not at all. About 50-60% of the time now, when I tirn the key to start it, it will start clicking and making noise (sounds like a bill counting machine at a bank) from the BCM. This will continue even after i turn the key to off and remove it!. No clue why this is happening.

Could the BCM be bad in the car, and causing these issues? There is another 98 here in the yard I can grab one out of and try it. If I do replace it, will my key still work or will I need to do something about that too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to get the car working and sold soon since I am probably buying a new project soon.

***Edit: New problem Page 2. Misfire on CYL #6. Original problem of no start solved.

good battery (fairly new)

Brand new Starter (less than 400 miles)

Good alternator

Might be a stock anti-theft system, but i removed the Viper 550HF one that was on it and re-connected the stock wiring properly (soldered)

Most of the noise is coming from the BCM from what I can tell.

changing the BCM shouldnt affect the key, Also i would say bad ignition switch. Cant say i would bet money on it but its a good chance. Very common problem on those cars and causes similair symptoms because of a shortage of power supplied to the bcm from the ignition

ok, I will attempt to get both of them from the yard later, since they are already out and ready for me to grab.

How hard is it to change the ignition switch?

not too bad, You will need a 4mm or even a 4.5mm reverse torx for the 3 small screws that secure the switch to the column,

Remove the column covers, remove underside dash panel, Unscrew big wire connector under dash, unscrew ignition assembly from column, turn an pull out the neutral safety switch( small white box with a green and a white wire) , Pull unit out with wires ad intallation is reverse of removal

Well, the key is on the dash in the intrigue, not on the column, so I am hoping I don't have to do anything on the column for it.

I am going today to get the switch from the yard. Will any switch work, or is it 98 Specific? Cause there are a couple 99-01's here with the 3.5's in them I could grab as well.

i forgot they were on the dash next to the column, same concept though, Even easier to get to. I would say almost any style that is on the dash instead of the column, Someone may pitch in on the years compatible

ok, I got the whole thing, with key cyl and even the cable that goes down to the shifter from another 98. Hopefully I don't need the whole thing. Which part is the actual Ignition switch assembly?

This should be the same as the in-dash keys in the Malibus as well. If you turn the key in the ignition to the ON position it should pop out when you push a button around the cylinder itself.

That really doesn't sound like the issue here though.

If you do change the cylinder, you have to turn the ignition ON and wait ten minutes for the ECM to relearn the code for the key. The SECURITY light will remain on until it has learned the code, and then it will allow the engine to start.

ok, so do I need the key from the car I pulled this from to get the lock cyl out inorder to use the Ignition Cyl?

If so, I don't have it. Is there another way?

will the ignition switch be the same for all years of the intrigue?

Going to post this up as well for anyone running into the same issue as me. It has instructions on what to do if you don't have the key I believe. It's for an alero, but they should have the same ignition switch type.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.oldsmobile/browse_thread/thread/17ab7de659147a2b?pli=1

I could have told you that. I had to do the same thing to a Malibu. I wish I had read this thread earler.

just swapped in another Ignition Switch from a 99 intrigue. No go. No Starter click, no start. There is a bunch of clicking like a relay, but it comes from the BCM area.

Any other ideas? It's too rainy here to dig any deeper and tomorrow I am picking up my blazer, but I;d like to get this solved this weekend if possible.

Did you program the key? IIRC, 3 10 minute cycles.

It's one ten minute cycle but that would still allow the starter to engage, it would start, run for a second, and then shut off. At least that's what the Malibu did.

hahahaha.... yeah, ok. :confused:

Stupid corroded battery cable :mad:

Started, ran and moved under it's own power to allow me to get the new project in.

Still an issue. Runs good for the first little bit, then gets a Misfire on Cyl #6. Going to try and remove the spark plug and see what's up there. After it starts misfiring, it runs rough. No other codes when let running for 15 minutes.

this is a new set of coils. Used to have a mis fire on Cyl 5. I will try swapping two of them and see if it happens tomorrow (hopefully it'll be dry). I have about 4 sets of coils here, so that's good. I tested the secondary contacts and they all tested fine before putting them on.

Will update tomorrrow.