"Security" in message center, no start

cramez

Problem is on a 2002 Monte Carlo SS, 3.8 n/a auto, OnStar, etc. Once in a while while driving, "Security" will pop up on the message center steady for no apparent reason, and then go off when the car is shut off. Thus far it has never created any other problems, but this morning I went to start it and got nothing. Plenty of power, but it didn't so much as try to turn over, and "Security" flashed on the message center this time instead. I've heard of issues like this on the cars with the chip in the key, but this car does not have that. No check engine light, and no codes.

Is there something that I can check myself or am I just stuck getting hosed at the dealer?

Up in the plastic part? What is it then, some kind of RFID chip? I don't honestly have a spare key right now, but for the cost I might as well get one from the dealer. They can get one with the right chip just by the VIN?

Up in the plastic part? What is it then, some kind of RFID chip? I don't honestly have a spare key right now, but for the cost I might as well get one from the dealer. They can get one with the right chip just by the VIN?

I think so and yes.

yah, get a spare made. have to get it through the dealer because of all that gee-wiz technology. that will save some of the headaches. it could also be the ignition is going bad, so you have to change that out, and you would get a new set of keys to go with that as well.

My friend's '01 Alero has been doing the same thing. The security light comes on a lot but only flashes and doesn't start every once in a while, he has to let it sit for 10 minutes with the key on, then it goes off and he can start it.

I would really like to know how exactly the Passkey system works, as my GF's Intrigue has passkey (At least, i think it does), and we have 3 keys. One original, with the plastic head, one copy that has an olds logo that looks the same, but with no plastic head, and a curtis key from walmart, with a much different head than the other 2, yet all the keys work to start the car.

My regal, which is a 2000 just like the intrigue, has a chip in the key, as well as a seperate key for the doors and trunk.

Kinda messed that GM would use 2 different systems on the same platform.