AWeb's Trans Rebuild Thread

AWeb80

just got done tearing my 4t60e apart....ugh...what a task.

couldn't find anything wrong w/ it....other than the chain is stretched like CRAZY and way outta spec.

the 1-2 clutchpack still had the factory lettering on the band (WTF)....hardly any wear.....and the diff is in pretty good shape for 125k of abuse.

pics in a while

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWeb80

• Brian P

• old442man

• AL

Top Posters In This Topic

looks good.

no play visible....any measurements I need to check... I also need to find measurements for teh pump vanes...my ASTG manual doesn't have a in/out spec chart

LOL....thanks John...

it's a strange love I know.. but I can't let this car die.... It's been uber nice this weekend...that is a major force behind me wanting to get it done.....I love driving the car

alright....

Here's the case

IMG_3856.jpg

again....

IMG_3857.jpg

all the internals wrapped in plastic garbage bags to keep them as clean as possible till reinstallation

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

shop floor all cleaned up for the time being

IMG_3864.jpg

Pics of parts all over! Lets see what the guts of a 4t60-E look like!

Yea lets see 'em!

AWeb80

Man I wish i had the balls to just tear into my car and fix whatever wrong with it. I tell you im slowing getting there, I was on cloud 9 when i first replaced my front brakes, and rear drums. Thats saying alot coming from a family that whatever breaks on their cars has to be fixed by a "professional".

Trans Was Spotless. Everything Was Spotless. Other Than Normal Wear on the moving parts. we couldn't find anything wrong. we're guessing a valve got stuck or something. o well, a fresh rebuild will be sweet to have!

looking really good Adam! you going to keep the shift kit? also, you plannin on doing the 3400 upper intake swap while you have the car half apart, or just going to keep the plain jane 3100?

If there's anyone on this board that can talk shit about a project and actually get it done, it's you, Adam. Glad to see you're progressing.

x2! Just need to get you to do some body work too, and then you will be a well-rounded individual....

just put a new CPS In....stock one came out EASY.

also cleaned teh IAC and put a new Oil pump drive O-ring in, along w/ a paper gasket Ken told me to use.

looking really good Adam! you going to keep the shift kit? also, you plannin on doing the 3400 upper intake swap while you have the car half apart, or just going to keep the plain jane 3100?

Picked up my control arms today.

Had the big ones pressed in. The shop used a ball joint press, not an arbor press, so they didnt have to touch the arm at all. the very tip looks a tad bent, yes it its, but was that way stock. Look at the stock bushing closely and you will see the mark on the stock bushing.

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3868.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

Whats the part numbers on those bushings? Also from where. Looks like they are a little long tho. Otherwise I really want them :biggrin:

Will those still fit? Have you tested them because I would really like to do this to my 95 monte. I'm assuming the front suspension is identical on yours as it is on my car.

Wierd the trans was slipping but you can't find anything wrong.

Whats the part numbers on those bushings? Also from where. Looks like they are a little long tho. Otherwise I really want them :biggrin:

Will those still fit? Have you tested them because I would really like to do this to my 95 monte. I'm assuming the front suspension is identical on yours as it is on my car.

Read this:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=74935.0

Yeah, they are long, you have to cut them to length....not too hard to do.

Read this:

So the bushing in the second picture of yours is the one that you melt out and leave the stock sleeve in?

Then you take the poly bushing without the sleeve and force it in there?

You then get the forward mounting bushing pressed out, then the new poly pressed in?

If all this is right then I guess its not to hard. For the bushing that you are able to put in your self, does it not have that sleeve on there already?

thanks

Read this:

So the bushing in the second picture of yours is the one that you melt out and leave the stock sleeve in?

YES

YES

You then get the forward mounting bushing pressed out, then the new poly pressed in?

If all this is right then I guess its not to hard. For the bushing that you are able to put in your self, does it not have that sleeve on there already?

You take it off yourself....comes off easy

thanks

Read this:

thanks

There's a special method for pressing in the poly bushing without the sleeve, which involves either a very good vice, or a long bolt and matching nut, 2 large washers, and the outer shell from the extra upper control arm bushings that you don't need from the kit. Trust me, it didn't take me 4 days to do this mod for nothing. I too thought it would be a piece of cake, and so did Adam, but when he called me after a few hours of trying to figure out how to press in the new bushings, he was just about ready to explode. Prepare to have this take you a long time, especially considering you'll need to order 1/2" (12.7mm) 10.9 grade hardened nuts and bolts from the website I posted on the original thread, since the stock 12mm bolts are too thin. Read through the whole thing so you know exactly what you're in for and exactly what you need to do, because you will very easily run into frustrating surprises. Be prepared to cut the original bolts with a suitable tool if necessary, and be prepared to have that take you an entire day if you are as unlucky as I was.

I can't stress enough the importance of reading every single post I've made in that thread if you want to make your life easier.

I should seriously write up a fresh step by step article on how to do this.

tonight,

started making some custom brackets for my aftermarket trans cooler....I didn't like having it attached through the condenser and radiator.

I have to do some final touches at work tomarrow and I'll paint them and install them this weekend.

pics to come....

I relocated my secondary trans cooler from the rad/condenser mount I had on the pass side, to a "remote" mount on the drivers side. I didn't like it hanging on the condenser.

Made some brackets out of .125" Aluminum scrap at work and did a quick spray paint on them.

It is rock solid and doesn't move. I had to tap the top hole in the frame and then just used 1/4-20 bolts w/ nylock nuts to ensure a secure fit.

IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

IMG_3928.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

• 1 month later...

forgot about this thread. big bump. the trans is done and bolted to the motor. starter and exhaust is on too. will start installing it friday and will have pics then.