99 Lumina Front Strut cartridges and mounts how to

karrkrazzie

I just got a 99 lumina LTZ and the front strut cartridges need to be replaces as well as the mount right below the cover under the hood. If anyone could just give step by step instructions on how to go this. It doesn't look too hard but i want to make sure I don't mess it up. I ordered a w-body strut tool kit but it said it was only good up to 98 lumina's. I am really hoping that it doesn't matter though because I thought they were all the same. Someone please just help me out and let me know what I need to do first through last.

your tool will be fine. what one did you get?

the front struts are really easy to do. just make sure you are parked on level ground.

having a impact wrench *really* helps to get the top nut off.

1. remove strut plate on top - 3 15mm nuts

2. remove strut nut - i forget the size off hand, but it is where the impact helps

3. remove old strut mount

3. use strut tool to go down on the retaining nut for strut cartridge, remove

4. pull old strut out, be careful, if it is original old strut oil will get all over the place

5. insert new strut. leaving the old oil in the strut tube is OK, most of it will come out when you install the new strut anyhow.

6. tighten down new strut retaining nut DO NOT USE AN IMPACT

7. install new strut mount

8. install strut nut

9. install strut cover plate

first time I did this it took me an hour

I have that same tool. while it works good, beware it might need modifications to work right. mine did.

where you snap that socket on to the hollow rod, the pins on the socket where just a little too long, and I had to use a metal file and file them down just a little so it would clear the strut rod.

you should be good to go, honestly you probably don't even need new upper mounts. I have yet to see a bad one.

Time for a fun filled story about how shitty this all went....

I go get my tool kit from ups and do the struts by myself as planned...

Go get new tires which took a grand total of 20 minutes... awesome... i am now 2 hours ahead of schedule

Well i go to a place to get it aligned and they take one look at it and say something is wrong...Fantastic

I end of having them get stuts and put them in it because i already fucked it up once and didnt wanna screw with it again. They get the monroe struts in and put them up next to the ones i put in from advance auto and they are completely different!! So i called advance auto back up because my brother got them for his 90 Turbo lumina and thought they were the same. Well advance gives me the same model number for both years. Really freekin weird because they were not at all similiar. So basically i ended up spending 300 dollars... which wasnt to bad.. at least i dont think

No they were bought a long time ago and neem sitting around so it isnt that big of a loss... But get this... Today i was driving away from the ATM and my passenger ball joint broke and the axel snapped as well... I just have to hope that is all that broke. It hurt watching the tow truck drag the car onto it.. we had to take the tired off and i just had to sit there and watch it be dragged, :cry: