My debate: R&R gas tank myself, or have reputable shop do it for $150 CDN

GOT2B GM

Yeah the tank I got came from Advance Auto. The pump is a Bosch. I love those pumps and will swear by them. The sender I got off rock auto, "spectra premium" IIRC. It works, but not in the same fashion as the OE ones. this one will fall off full fast but hang at empty forever. I replaced the tank because when the car sat for several years with nasty gas in it it rusted the inside of the tank and was contaminating the gasoline.

oddly enough I gave the tank to some kid who put it in his shitbox base lumina after he ran over a jack stand and punctured his tank :bash:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GOT2B GM

• 5speedz34

• White93z34

• slick

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing to check on the new tank. make sure at the big end of the tank that is closest to the monoleaf that the edges of the tank are bent up like the OE tanks are. I forgot to check that on the new tank I got for the Euro and that made installation a pain in the ass when the tank straps got hung up there.

good to know.

The tank is a Spectra Premium. Made in Canada FTW

If I remember correctly, when I saw/owned that tank it had the bent up corners so you should be fine. Canadian made products ftw, Quebec made products... not so much but still ftw. :lol:

one thing to check on the new tank. make sure at the big end of the tank that is closest to the monoleaf that the edges of the tank are bent up like the OE tanks are. I forgot to check that on the new tank I got for the Euro and that made installation a pain in the ass when the tank straps got hung up there.

good to know.

The tank is a Spectra Premium. Made in Canada FTW

I forgot to mention, my tank is a spectra premium as well!

The tank was leaking above 1/2. Bought this brand new one off of Filip (Captain Ficho) He didn't end up needing it for his car (leaking filler neck)

This car only has 48,xxx miles so I reused the original pump. Sending unit was good too, hardly any rust at all.

Gotcha....shitty to because isn't it a common part to go bad?

In the rustbelt yes

Comon' doesn't that go without saying...no I expected this to be a common rust issue in Florida. LOL.

What my car really could use is the pair of steel lines running from the EVAP can to the top of the rear subframe.

Mine are very crusty.

i dont know why ppl complain so much about doing fuel pumps, I did mine outside in minus 40 in the snow on drive on wheel ramps, only took me 2 hours, and I live in crappy climate as well.

if that were me though, I would have replaced the fuel pump with the new tank aswell, might as well since you had it down and all. Oh well to each their own.

I figure why replace the fuel pump if its not broken? OEM is probably better quality than most aftermarket ones anyways. Only has 48k miles on it, and isn't noisy.