any GOOD 2-DIN with detatchable faceplate exist?

TurboSedan

i've been looking around for a new HU for my Regal GS but not really coming up with anything. i LOVE the Alpine iDA-X001 i just put in my Spirit R/T, but i REALLY want a 2-DIN for the Regal. if i could get an iPod based 2-DIN for the Regal that would be perfect - so long as it has a detachable face instead of a useless security code feature which IMO is not going to keep a thief from ripping it out of my dash.

what i want: i don't care about long obsolete CD player HUs. i don't care about Bluetooth. i don't even care about DVD capability although it would be kind of cool to be able to view a backup camera (more of a gimmick, but still cool). i mostly want 2-DIN because i hate 1-DIN stereos with an adapter kit in a car that originally came with a 2-DIN. i listen to the radio and the 40gig collection of music on my iPod - that's it. i know a detachable 2-DIN faceplate is obviously bigger but i don't care if i have to carry it in every night. does anyone even make a 2-DIN detachable face HU?. that's the one thing that makes me hesitant to go 2-DIN. one thing i don't like about my Alpine in the R/T is that radio reception isn't nearly as good as Pioneer's SuperTuner, but that's not a deal breaker. the thing i DON'T like about Pioneer is that searching for songs with the HU in the iPod library is a major PITA (in regards to the older 1-DIN DEH 4900/5900 etc). with the Alpine i can find whatever song i want in seconds since the large knob on the front of the faceplate mimics the iPod click wheel.

i'm leaning towards this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVHP400/Pioneer-AVH-P4000DVD.html?search=Pioneer+4000. maybe finding songs on the iPod would be alot easier due to the fact it has a touchscreen to navigate the iPod library?

i just wish Alpine made and iDA-X100 that was in 2-DIN size with at least a partial faceplate removal for security. that's how my iDA-X001 is - only half of the faceplate detatches while the screen secton stays in the car.

any advice?

thanks

As far as i know they dont make double dins with detachable faceplate, and certainly not a screen thats detachable. Ive heard of people making up covers to go over the radio but i think that more a a PITA then its worth. If someone wants your radio bad enough they will take it, faceplate or not.

There are a few DD DVD players with detachable screens, but I haven't seen any DD's non-dvd with full detachable faceplates. I have seen 1 din out of the DD that the face will come off, but not the entire thing.

I have all the same thoughts and feelings of the wanting 2-din, but detach face. I just went with a JVC 1-din dvd player with a detachable 2.5" screen.

but for my other red TGP I was going to get a cleansweep from jl audio and put in a amp and use my ipod through that but my tape adapter works great for now. and no thief wants to steal a stock deck no matter how good it works. they will not assume you have an amp/components/subwoofer and a cleansweep/Ipod in the console and could also have a 7" widescreen in the glove if you got video ipod.

JVC makes a 2 DIN touchscreen unit with detachable face.. On the pricey side, but it has plenty of features to go with it.

I've got 2 JVC decks that have treated me great, and I plan to upgrade to this deck (or one similar to it) some day in the Impala.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105AVX810/JVC-KW-AVX810.html?tp=448&tab=features_and_specs

JVC makes a 2 DIN touchscreen unit with detachable face.. On the pricey side, but it has plenty of features to go with it.

I've got 2 JVC decks that have treated me great, and I plan to upgrade to this deck (or one similar to it) some day in the Impala.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105AVX810/JVC-KW-AVX810.html?tp=448&tab=features_and_specs

get that cheaper here.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=20059