A few new things

god910

Okay, here's the deal. My boost prob. is gone. I'm building good boost, but up around ~10-11 psi. I hear two distinct boost sounds, unless the flutter from the open filter changes up there, I think my BOV might be leaking. I also hear a hiss down by my feet when I let off the pedal and the BOV opens up. I don't mind replacing it w/ something better but the upper IC pipe has the flange from the DSM BOV welded onto it, so I would like to keep the same flange (just so I don't have to mess w/ it) The BOV sits right under the drivers side hood louvre. Sounds nice. Any tips on how to test it for leaking? Suggestions for a better BOV I plan to go upto 13-14 psi, w/ ultimate plans (after the engine build) to hit ~18+ psi.) Also there is no filter on the current BOV. :shock: When I got it I thought, "Isn't that thing open to suck air in when there is vacuum." Then I read an article on someone's site on which filter to put on it, but can't remember where it is. Thanks in advance, I am so excited to finally get to drive this car. See post below.

Congrats!!! :cheers:

The hiss sound you hear...is it immediately after you let go of the throttle whether or not you have built boost? The 1G BOV on my old TGP would make a metallic flutter noise...this is normal, it is just the metal plate seating in the BOV. Most likely if you are building 11 PSI the BOV is not leaking.

Just to let you know the 1G BOVs sound like an 18wheeler purging air rather than a chirp like the aftermarket BOVs. You should put a filter on the BOV outlet. The 1G BOV is a very good BOV especially for what they cost. You can spend upwards to $300 on the aftermarket BOVs and you would never use it to it's full potential unless you are running mega-boost 20+ PSI.

I am very happy to hear you have it running. :cheers: Pace yourself on the major mods...enjoy her for a little bit first!! :wink:

You know it might be the BOV closing, I will listen more tomorrow. About the major mods, what I am doing is rebuilding 1 of the other 2 that I have 8) and prepping that for the big boost, bigger turbo and all that stuff. I just need to get this thing to make it until I get the other motor ready. When I first got it started it had a somewhat loud low-end knock which dissipated and all but dissapeared w/in 3 min. or so. It hadn't run in 3 weeks so I wrote that off, but it was replaced by an upper engine noise (sounds like a lifter or a misadjusted rocker) The noise was there when I bought the car so it's not a surprise or anything. I'm thinking of putting a GMPP Turbo cam and lifters or someone else's cam (based on the sugg. from you guys) To remedy the noise, and I am going to hold the majority of my mods to stuff that will be useable on the new engine. Now mind you this isn't going to be any super crazy because the 3800S2 Turbo is my big baby, but I still want to have a super fun, fast, 5 speed TGP to daily drive.

Right on. Jeff M made a minor mention that he is testing his big turbo/head project, so you may want to give it a little time for some figures on cost for your spare motor. Might be a more bang for your buck sort of thing... 8)

The upper end tick you are hearing...does it sound like just one or multiple ticks?

The tick (going from memory) sounds like just one tick. My Cutty motor has the same noise but not as noticeable. Is there any specs on Jeff's setup or is it just known as a Big Turbo/Head project. I know he's had heads out for some time. I am going to be able to get a turbo off a Cummins 5.9 Diesel, very cheap. I don't know how big of a turbo he is thinking of, and since this is a fun car, and because I can get it cheap (~$200 w/ low miles) I'm probably looking more to teach myself some fab. skillz rather than just spend $2000 to let someone else do the work. I have always been the type to do it myself and learn and fail, then know how to do it right. (Maybe :lol: ) I'm always willing to listen, like headwork, I never see myself fortunate enough to get within 10 ft. of a flow bench, but stuff I can do myself I like to atleast try. Man, am I rambling or what? Any idea on the tick, I haven't even looked into it, just speculating right now. I don't want to think about anything I HAVE to fix, I just want to drive it right now. Man, I'm excited.