brake light and abs light on

jake91

on the guage cluster the abs and the brake dummy lights come on intermitently, and i find that the dont come as much when you drive the car easy as when you drive it harder, but then sometimes it just comes on when you start it and stays on, and sometimes just the abs light is on, and sometimes they are both on. i have checked the fluids it has good brakes i stops well so i believe i have abs because it hasnt ever slid exept on dirt so does anyone know what this could be

A wheel sensor likely. Mine does the same thing because there is a bad wire between the ABS unit and the ABS module.

i was kind of thinking that because of the driving habits thing because if i hit the brakes hard i comes on if i floor it it comes on and if the tires spin it comes on but if that is the problem is it going to hurt any thing not to repair it

Mine isn't fixed...

If you have a safety inspection, it will likely fail because the brake light is on...Just pull the ABS fuse and the brake light will work normally.

Pull the cluster and take the bulb out if the ABS light bothers you... :D

i had the same problem with my 94, and the way i fixed it, was there is a shock tower next to the battery where the accesorry for the positive battery cable connects to, and that is where the fuse for the headlights, turn signals, and the ABS go to. The cable itself was all corroded, and caused it to come on..

try cleaning that off, and see if that fixes it!

well that could explain also why my headlights flicker sometimes and turn signals dont work occasionally also i looked the ignition is located there 50 percent of the time i try to start my car it just clicks and then starts on the 2nd-4th try

another problem that is very common is the contacts for the abs relay. It will trigger one or both lights intermittently. That would be my first thing to check. It is the fuse box at the driver side strut tower

I have a similar problem in my Reatta. The "ABS" and "brakes" lights are ALWAYS on, nonstop. When I turn the car on, the computer screen alerts me to the fact that the ABS brakes need work. It's already been serviced (new brakes, brake fluid flush and fill). The mechanic said that it's a bad sensor, but that ABS brakes as old as mine never really worked that well anyway (he said even though the brakes pulsed, the wheels could still be locked up.....and he did a quick test of the brakes on the road he told me. Said he slammed 'em at 65 for a second to see if they locked and they did). I don't like having the lights on or the computer reminding me, but I don't want to shell out money to fix the harmless problem (I don't care much for ABS).

I have a similar problem in my Reatta. The "ABS" and "brakes" lights are ALWAYS on, nonstop. When I turn the car on, the computer screen alerts me to the fact that the ABS brakes need work. It's already been serviced (new brakes, brake fluid flush and fill). The mechanic said that it's a bad sensor, but that ABS brakes as old as mine never really worked that well anyway (he said even though the brakes pulsed, the wheels could still be locked up.....and he did a quick test of the brakes on the road he told me. Said he slammed 'em at 65 for a second to see if they locked and they did). I don't like having the lights on or the computer reminding me, but I don't want to shell out money to fix the harmless problem (I don't care much for ABS).

It's a good feature for driving in weather. Also, if you lock 'em up in a vehicle without ABS you're not going to be able to steer at all. Steering won't be great in one with ABS, but you'll have some control. It was actually a $900 option on the Rendevous around 2003. Yep, Buick made a feature that was standard for 10+ years optional :rolleyes:

From a man who went from a non ABS 6000 to a perfectly functioning ABS Ciera and back to a non ABS CS...

ABS is SOOOOO FTW!!! Like... It saved my ass SO many times. I <3 ABS. If I had a car that had ABS that was broken, it would be FIRST on the list to be fixed. For real.

its fixed it was what pontiacmaniac94 said and now my car is also running 2 volts higher

THANK YOU AND GOOD NIGHT!

:lol:

but yah, i couldnt figure it out for the life of me, and when my postive battery cable went bad, i fixed that, and all of a sudden, the lights went off, so i put two and two together.

glad i could help!