Wierd Problem Needs Fixed or its Junked

waddlemasta

:willynilly:I have a 92 Regal with the 3.1 MPFI motor. Well what it is doing is starting up fine no misses no anything. Take it out of the garage at idle just fine. I can even rev it up in neutral or park. I put it in drive and give it gas it starts bogging like an SOB and goes no where. If I'm going down hill and ease the throttle it goes like a bat out of hell. Start going up hill and ease into it boggs give it any gas what so ever bogs. Then when I get home and shut it off it won't restart for about 5 minutes just crank and crank. I've changed the TPS, I checked the fuel pressure which is fine, I even replaced the bad modulator valve. Oh and I had it relearn idle just incase. What could be the problem? What am I missing? NO CEL either!! I'm going to just sell it as a mechanics special for a while and see if you guys can help me out with this problem so maybe I can get it fixed. If I can't fix it and nobody wants it the junk yard is in the near future. :cry:

I'm not sure if the PSI dropped. I had a mechanic do it and he charged me $10 for doing it and said that everything check out fine. He said the fuel pump could be on its way out though cuz it sounded wierd to him. I didn't notice anything odd. If it is that I can't afford to fix it. This was just suppose to be my winter car to save my Cobalt that has bad tires. I guess I'll put up a post to see if someone wants it so I can get the money I need for my tires LOL. The only W-Body I've owned with not so many problems was my TGP.

I vote either low fuel pressure when revved, or possibly clogged cat. Could also be a sensor though... does it run smooth (i.e. no misfiring) at idle, or if you rev it in park?

no misfire even when its bogging. I checked it all out this morning again and found that my EGR block off isn't sealed all the way anymore. I'm going to make a new one tonight and get a good seal on it again and see if that doesn't take care of it.

I remember my Lumina 3.1 used to have a sort of similar problem before it was fixed. It would usually run well, but at some point, it began developing problems. Usually on turns or when really putting my foot in it, the car would stutter and then shut off, displaying the check engine light. Naturally, I lost all power steering and braking. I would then attempt to restart the car and it would just kick and sputter and cough and turn over and over, but wouldn't start (the kicking/sputtering was also very erratic and random). Anyway, at some point, we finally got around to getting it fixed. My mom's mechanic friend worked on it and determined it to be some sort of valve or sensor thing (can't remember what it was) which had deteriorated. With the new stuff in, the car ran without problems and I could bitchslap that car all I wanted.

Well my worst fears are true. I fixed the EGR last night and the car was still acting up just not as bad. So I went to auto zone this morning and borrowed a fuel pressure guage and when reving up the fuel pressure drops down big time. Then when I was going to put it back in the garage with nothing on and it was quiet I heard the fuel pump starting to wine just like it did on my TGP. At least with my TGP I could drive it when it was bad just not go into boost with it. So I'm calling the scrapper today. I'd rather get money for it than put more into it and still have more problems down the road.

Well its in the For Sale thread and its not the cat para the last two replys its the fuel pump and now something shorting out in the electrical system as well.. this developed last night battery goes dead 15 minutes after shutting the car off. Anyways I'm selling it for what the scrapper is giving me for it tomorrow so if you can make it to Lanark IL tomorrow with a trailer by noon its all yours guys otherwise he's giving it a new home. Not to mention he said he's going to try and fix it and drive it before he scraps it. He has numerous donor parts available to him. I need it gone like yesterday. I'm starting a new 3rd shift job thats working 6 day 8 hour a day production so that leaves little time to get everything done sleep and work on the car. That and my Cobalt needs tires desperately so the money from this is going to help me get them so I have a safe car to drive again.

Dude, you can get used tires for $20-30 bucks apiece, including getting them mounted. They might not match, but they'll get you through the winter.

Just my 2¢