Changing To Blue LED Instrumentation Lighting... FINALLY DONE!!!!!See PG2

BXX

Do you have any problems with "hot spots"?

That's the only thing that has even kept me from wanting to do this.

If not, what did you do to remedy it? I see you painted black on the tips of the LED's for the DIC, did that make a big difference?

i'll send you mine, it should be super easy being it is the base lumina cluster

I can do that, clusters are easy, but still take a lot of time. If you have a cut pigtail, that would be nice so I can test the illum circuit on it easier to see how it looks and make some adjustments.

Do you have any problems with "hot spots"?

That's the only thing that has even kept me from wanting to do this.

If not, what did you do to remedy it? I see you painted black on the tips of the LED's for the DIC, did that make a big difference?

Hot spots as in heat issues or brightness?? either way, no I dont... bright spots on anything other than the DIC and AUTO HVAC unit are easy to address and adjust. Regular HVAC units will be easy too..

the painted tips are actually liquid electric tape which you WILL need for a project like this other than to coat the tips of the LEDs.. It helps tone down the brightness since LEDs are much brighter from a head on angle.

Oh, and if you are gonna do this project, expect a lot of downtime!!! Especiallt if its a car you drive often. I have over 30 hours into mine, and I still need to do some minor adjustments, but that involves me pulling things back apart which will just have to wait. Im gonna get spare units to work on and those will eventually go into the car when they are PERFECT.. I am far too anal, hence my simple TGP project has turned from a simple rebuilt to a complete tear down to a shell :lol:

I can admire the work you put into this because it's a monumental pain in the ass.. but there's no way I'd ever do it again. A few months of the blue and I was wanting to rip my eyes out. It's a miserable experience to drive a car like this daily, especially if you have to drive it at night a lot.

There's a reason why no one does all-blue interiors out of the factory.

Because the human eye sucks at seeing blue?

Its fine to me, doesnt bother me one bit

and Hyundai has done blue lighting in their interiors... Another manufacturer has done it, but i cant remember

I'm not saying it's bad, just the human eye sucks at seeing blue.

Yeah, I understand that, but really, its plenty bright enough to see and its no too bright where its blinding.. It actually causes a bit less glare at night that the stock green lighting did. I was expecting quite the opposite

Because the human eye sucks at seeing blue?

Its fine to me, doesnt bother me one bit

and Hyundai has done blue lighting in their interiors... Another manufacturer has done it, but i cant remember

VW Jetta has blue dash and cluster light

Lots of work, but I could only imagine how bad my eyes would ache. I would have such a humongous headache that I would not drive.

me too. I would have to make it dimmer or diffuse it to make it bearable.

I will be trying this soon, myself.

I respect the work, but I don't like the blue. I'm a Pontiac guy at heart, I LOVE the orange. I much prefer that at night, and I miss it quite a bit.

I love the Pontiac orange too, but its not a Pontiac!!! :lol:

Lots of work, but I could only imagine how bad my eyes would ache. I would have such a humongous headache that I would not drive.

Doesnt hurt one bit, and I am sensitive to light conditions with my migraines..

me too. I would have to make it dimmer or diffuse it to make it bearable.

I will be trying this soon, myself.

Ken, the dimmer switch still functions perfectly, and the blue dims just fine..