The Great LQ1 3.4L DOHC Debate Thread (Post Your Hate Here!)

GP1138

Hands down the LQ1 is a better engine all around. how is it a poor design? yeah it has its common problems, yeah its a tight fit in the engine compartment and you have to have a high mechanical skill to work and them unlike the 3100 wich any parts swapper can fix, but its not a poor design.. yeah its not the most common for modifications smiply because its not the mass produced or a "cookie cutter 3100" wich my grandmas have. ohc is a great advancement in technology, have you know that all of mercedes-benz engines are OHC engines and they invented the first car!! They 3100 is good for my grandmas to get to church and bingo etc. Lets not forget that the LQ1 engine was a upgraded option from the factory. DOHC is the way to go for a more sporty--mechanical efficient ride.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldscsc

• ManicMechanic

• Euro

• jeremy

Hands down the LQ1 is a better engine all around. how is it a poor design? yeah it has its common problems, yeah its a tight fit in the engine compartment and you have to have a high mechanical skill to work and them unlike the 3100 wich any parts swapper can fix, but its not a poor design.. yeah its not the most common for modifications smiply because its not the mass produced or a "cookie cutter 3100" wich my grandmas have. ohc is a great advancement in technology, have you know that all of mercedes-benz engines are OHC engines and they invented the first car!! They 3100 is good for my grandmas to get to church and bingo etc. Lets not forget that the LQ1 engine was a upgraded option from the factory. DOHC is the way to go for a more sporty--mechanical efficient ride.

Anymore I'd argue OHV is superior. I suppose back in the 90's when our cars where new DOHC was technologically advanced and more efficient, but not anymore. Cylinder head designs, valvetrains, etc are all way better than they were in the 90's. It allows OHV engines to breathe way better than they use too. OHV'a are making just as much hp at almost as many rpm and still have more torue output. Plus they get better economy too. The old S2 3800 makes about as much power as an LQ1 but makes better fuel mileage (97 and 98 Z34's post near-identical 1/4 miles but a 98 with a 3800 has higher EPA gas mileage #'s).

OHV engines are also probably more technologically advanced now anyways. Cylinder deactivation technology is exclusive to OHV outside of Honda's new SOHC (doesn't work on DOHC). OHV's now often have VVT which use to be OHC only. New OHV designs just aren't like they use to be. If GM can make a 500+ hp OHV Corvette that gets nearly 30mpg on pump gas and can outperform exotics getting <15 mpg on 95+ octane, OHV is the more mechanically efficient way to go.

Edit:

Although I argue for OHV, for the record I like the LQ1. Sucks to work on but there's nothing to hate about it. Is way better than the other 60 degree engines of the day.

Threads like this one are what make me fear the L67:http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=4341743&p=&mpage=1&tmode=1&smode=1&key=car+fire&language=single

Ill stick with the LQ1

Threads like this one are what make me fear the LQ1: http://60degreev6.com/forum/f100/getting-ready-to-dive-into-my-lq1-t40637

I'll stick with the 3800. :willynilly:

Y'know... because 3800s NEVER blow headgaskets. :rolleyes:

Not at 150k. I'm one of few who abuses a S1 3800 to hell and can vouch for its reliability, so consider that's what I'm comparing an LQ1 to.

The old S2 3800 makes about as much power as an LQ1 but makes better fuel mileage (97 and 98 Z34's post near-identical 1/4 miles but a 98 with a 3800 has higher EPA gas mileage #'s).

Wait, what? 240hp, 280ft-lb vs. 215hp, 215ft-lb. I'm missing the part where the LQ1 makes about as much power.

he's probably talking the NA 3800

Oh yeah.

Damn, my girlfriend's sister has that engine on her new 96 Regal. Why couldn't she have gotten a 95 with a trouble-free L27...

I get your point Andrei, and 150k is pretty early to toss a headgasket but you don't know how negligent the owner of that car was in doing maintenance such as changing the coolant. You may beat on your car relentlessly but you keep up maintenance and that is a large part of why your engine has been so reliable. My LQ1 has 120k and I beat on it all the time but I maintain it properly and only two things have gone, starter and alternator. Those are both things that tend to go around 120k-15 years... so you can't really say LQ1s are unreliable based on that link. We don't know that cars history.

I'm not saying it's unreliable, I'm saying it's a bitch to work on. That whole thread is people who have experience with the motor talking about how it sucks to work on and all of these things to be careful of. That, and I'm more familiar with the 3800 to begin with.

BTW, the 3800 fires are a joke. It only happens because people neglect to change the o-rings on the fuel injectors and in the rail, which is no more than a 90 minute job, and it only takes that long because the o-rings in the rail are a b*tch to get seated correctly. The LIM gaskets aren't too difficult and there are writeups all over the place, and updated plastic UIM's are out there that take care of the EGR issue.

If you like the LQ1, that's great! I'd probably love it too if it had been in my first car. As it is, though, the 3800 feels like home. :lol:

I get your point Andrei, and 150k is pretty early to toss a headgasket but you don't know how negligent the owner of that car was in doing maintenance such as changing the coolant. You may beat on your car relentlessly but you keep up maintenance and that is a large part of why your engine has been so reliable. My LQ1 has 120k and I beat on it all the time but I maintain it properly and only two things have gone, starter and alternator. Those are both things that tend to go around 120k-15 years... so you can't really say LQ1s are unreliable based on that link. We don't know that cars history.

I'm starting to get the impression that the LQ1 isn't that unreliable. Its true that I maintain my car extremely well and I keep up on anything that needs to be done on it. I'm planning on a LIM, UIM, and TB gasket replacement on the regal some time soon to allow this car to push through the 200,000 mile mark in 2009.

I've never had to have my 3800 towed...

My LQ1 has been towed 3 times in a year.

I never had to have my 3.1 towed.

I never had to have my 4.3 towed.

:lol:

I take it your LQ1 is trying to set you up w/ the tow truck driver

gotta see the good in this Jay.

:willynilly:

First time was a lesbian...lol

Well i have a little over 200,000 miles on my LQ1 and so far i have had to replace the alternator and the radiator (top crimp started to leak). Other then that it has only been basic maintenance items. So i would have to say it is a very reliable motor, i still have lots of power and she loses/burns no fluids. I have not had the 3800, so unlike most on here, i will not comment on something i have not had or have not had experience working on. But as far as the LQ1 goes, i have no complaints about it.