oldscsc

I've always wanted a wig-wag (also called headlight flashers). I don't need a two minute long fancy sequence, all I want is the emergency flasher type. As many flashes per minute as I can get, quality in mind. First of all, what brands do you reccommend? Second, what all is involved in installing one? And lastly, I know you see cop cars with these wig-wags hooked up flashing the front and back (headlights, fogs, hi beams, brake lights, reverse lights, etc.) lights. Do I need two seperate wig-wags or will one suffice? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

very important... You know it may be illegal to have one in your car?

Yep, still want one. I'm not going to do 70 through a 40 just because I have these, I'll never actually use them on the street in the first place.

JCWhitney had some awhile back I was looking at, but can't remember what brand they were. Your best bet is find someone who can order them out of a police supply catolog if you can find somone who has one. This is illegal, and it's hard to get the good parts that the emergency vehicles use, mostly Whalen brand stuff, but if you know the right people it can be very easily had. The local yard I go to has a full lightbar for sale for $150, I was thinking of mounting it on the caprice, but would be alot better on a crown vic. I know JCWhitney has the strobes that you can mount in you headlights (if they're the composite type).

JCWhitney had some awhile back I was looking at' date=' but can't remember what brand they were. Your best bet is find someone who can order them out of a police supply catolog if you can find somone who has one. This is illegal, and it's hard to get the good parts that the emergency vehicles use, mostly Whalen brand stuff, but if you know the right people it can be very easily had. The local yard I go to has a full lightbar for sale for $150, I was thinking of mounting it on the caprice, but would be alot better on a crown vic. I know JCWhitney has the strobes that you can mount in you headlights (if they're the composite type).

[/quote']

Yes I remember the ones from JC Whitney. AutoZone/Advance both once had those cheapo strobes you could drill and install in your headlights. Other than JC Whitney or a police supply catalog, you might be able to score a set from an auction or something.

You may want to pick up a Galls catalog... My buddy who is a firefighter also does volunteer firefighting, and he got all his stuff for his Jeep (wig wags, lightbar, siren, etc.) through them...

i work for "federal signal" (we make the light bars and shit for police cars) and i get like 50% off everything in the catalog if it is legal to sell. im not sure how illegal these things are but i can check. might even be able to check your self at fedsig.com but not sure.

i work for "federal signal" (we make the light bars and shit for police cars) and i get like 50% off everything in the catalog if it is legal to sell. im not sure how illegal these things are but i can check. might even be able to check your self at fedsig.com but not sure.

Was and still might buy a Federal siren. Off of a 1937 Chevy firetruck. :mrgreen: It would be going on the GMC, just so I could drive through quite neighborhoods at 2:30 am with a 70 year old siren :lol:

the kits arent illegal per say, using them is. Doesnt matter where you are if you get caught "on-road" with them at ANY TIME you are facing a very hefty fine and possible vehicle impunding. My uncle works for a COPS program up here and he has a newer Intrepid decked out with wigwags and even tho he was actually first on scene to an accident not too far from his acreage and he was using the wigwags as nothing more than a "Slow down Caution" kinda deal he got ticketed when the RCMP showed up. Charges were dropped in court but thats beside the point. I have even see guys get hassled in car show parking lots with the car not even running but the strobes/wig-wags on. Now it might just be an "around here" kinda deal but im sure almost everywhere "wig-wags" are a huge no no on non emergency vehicles.

the kits are self explanitary, installs are a bit tricky cause youre drilling holes into the housing on your headlights. Wiring is the hardest part but the instructions are usually fairly straight forward. I wouldnt think you would have to modify the impala kit too much for it to work for you.

FWIW the siren is just asking for trouble, dont waste your time :lol:

the kits are self explanitary, installs are a bit tricky cause youre drilling holes into the housing on your headlights. Wiring is the hardest part but the instructions are usually fairly straight forward. I wouldnt think you would have to modify the impala kit too much for it to work for you.

FWIW the siren is just asking for trouble, dont waste your time :lol:

DON"T TELL ME THAT!!! :lol: It's probably not going to happen, if it's working he wants $250. I hope it isn't and I can fix it. Don't know much about them but they're 70 years old, can't be too complicated.

Oh, and if your not too handy with relay's, I'll make up a harness with the relays and what-not for ya. I'd even put in in a small black box to keep it out of the elements. Just pay parts and shipping.

Oh, and if your not too handy with relay's, I'll make up a harness with the relays and what-not for ya. I'd even put in in a small black box to keep it out of the elements. Just pay parts and shipping.

If I don't buy one, I'll take you up on that Slick. Thanks, I'm just learning this stuff. I appreciate the offer.

There is NO drilling required for wig-wags as they flash your OEM bulbs. As someone mentioned, Galls is a big supplier for volunteers and should sell many different setups.

The major thing you need to know about them is if the car is negative or positive grounded, which I do NOT know. I can't think of their actual website right now, but search for Sound Off Signal Corp who also makes a lot of emergency vehicle products. Not saying to buy theirs, but if I remember they have a pretty big compatability list that might show exactly what you need.

Decent ones have relays built in to them, so basically just wiring (fused) to a switch and you are set!

I'm not sure where you live, but do NOT use them on any roadway!

If you want a fast flash pattern, you would need to go with a hide-away (HAW) of some type, either strobe or LED. They do require drillig and the LED versions are big $!

Swift13- I could have REALLY used you when my fire department was still volunteer!!

Sound Off's website only goes back to 1997...it shows a '97 cutlass as ground side signal flashed, but a '97 cutlass supreme as positive switched. Unfortunately I don't know how to find out what yours is (this is all assuming it's for your cutlass).

If it's for your 99 or 01 truck, those are pretty easy to find.

as for name brands by popularity (at least around here):

1) Code 3

2) Whelen

3) Sound Off

4) Sho-Me

Most have different models which usually indicates flash pattern and some have changeable flash patterns by the user. (IIRC code 3 model 710 is a true wig-wag, model 711 alternates between wig-wag and flashing both highbeams simultaneously). They've all been around for awhile and are all well known. Whelen has a reputation for being one of the best in the business but I think Code 3 makes more flashers.

TONS of places online to buy if you search for them. Sirennet.com & galls.com are the two biggest companies I can think of off the top of my head. You can buy all the lights and sirens you want, it's not illegal. The problem is the "display" of such, and that varies by state law and local interpretation. Car shows are usually full of strobes and such, but just your vehicle sitting in a parking lot with it on could potentially cause legal problems for you depending on your local enforcement so just be carefull!