RareGMlover89

My buddy on here sseiyah93 has a turbo grand prix. Last tuesday it started to stall and not run right, directly after we put lucas fuel treatment into it. The check engine light came on as well. My dad who is a mechanic changed all the plugs and wires thinking maybe they messed up from it cleaning the fuel and what not. Still ran funny. Replaced the MAP sensor, that still didnt do anything. It runs fine as long as you have your foot on the gas, as soon as you let off it and let it idle it stumbles and stalls. Going down the highway its fine, and as soon as it shifts into overdrive the check engine light goes off. We are all exhausted and worn out trying to figure it out. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated ! :confused:

Check your fuel pressure. I'm going out on a limb, but I'm going to say it's fuel related...possibly pump or injectors? If his pressure is bad, possibly pump. If not, have the injector cleaned. Did you remove the vac line from the pressure regulator and smell for gas? If you smell gas, it's likely it's bad.

Im pretty sure nothing was disconnected but its possible i guess ? It just stuck us all funny, how monday we put the stuff in the car and tuesday it freaked out and wanted to die. My dad has worked on it non stop and its fine for about an hour then it idles funny and the exhaust smells like its not burning all the gas

you got a bosch O2 sensor in there or something?

..or maybe you will have to clean the throttle body and IAC motor and housing and then do a proper idle learn to clear it up.

do you have the stock crossover? do you smell any exhaust under the hood when it runs?

Ok, so here I am, It's my car and I know it's something that just happened, it ran like a champ on monday and tuesday flopped on its back. I really need help with this because I just don't know what the hell is wrong with it! I'm calling Lucas and the local rep. for Shell where I get gas. (They blew the engine out of a new Lexus a few months ago because one or more of the tanks were letting water in, had to replace a brand new Lexus) It does seem terribly ironic that there was nothing wrong what-so-ever with the car and the day after I put Lucas in it and filled my tank, it goes belly up... We've put in new plugs and wires, got a new fuel pump, replaced the terrible and hard to find oil leak (which if anyone's tgp is leaking oil and you just can't find it...may be able to help you) and bought a new fuel filter that I didn't put on yet because I don't think it was bad, also am in the process of fixing the exhaust leak in the engine which amazingly isn't the x-over it's a tube like he said...this is something random, the injectors aren't bad unless something made them go bad because they were fine and supposedly were replaced in 2004 i believe... I need help! HELP! Anything at all...

First, replacing a fuel filter is never a bad idea. Cheap enough, too.

Second, when you report this incident to Shell, DO NOT mention the Lucas portion. Just tell them it ran fine till I filled up with your gas and then kaputz. They may try and throw the blame on Lucas, or on you. And with Lucas, vise versa.

Third, check your injectors. Remove them and take the to a shop that can Ohm them.

sounds like maybe the egr broke while doing the plugs???

this will make your car run extremely rich and will not be the gas stations fault.

you are sucking in a ton of fresh air directly before the O2 sensor. this will cause the computer to think its lean and add more fuel.

Thank you so much, I don't believe anything is wrong with the EGR but will check and that was a really good point not to mention either company to the other in the case that one of them screwed up my car... Also, some things I forgot to mention. It IS blowing out black smoke, not just when revved but also at idle. It runs fine when cruising, until I let my foot off the gas and it would begin to coast, then you could tell it would sputter a little and the check engine light would come on, when I put my foot back on the gas, the check engine light would go off in about 10 seconds or so... we also tried to let the car re-learn its idle, it did seem to work, it idled ok for a little and I will try it agian after the exhaust leak is fixed and the fuel filter is put on, however, even though it seemed to be idling alright, there was still smoke, which of course just could have been left over in the exhaust... I just don't know, and your advice is helping very much because we are all stumped right now... Thank you and please continue with whatever help you can give.

A reply to the broken egr during plugs. The car ran like crap before we put the plugs in, and put them in thinkin it would help and it did nothing. The car is all back together still running goofy and smells like its not burining all the gas. We replaced the fuel filter, plugs and wires, MAP sensor and the IAC, but still nothing

Ok, another update... my turbo gauge is staying at +15 and not moving, could be a malfunctioning gauge except for the fact that it wasn't a week ago... Car stalled 4 times while idling on my way home... When coasting, the rpms will go down and slow the car down, then jump up to 2000 or so and the car will coast again, does it over and over... AND the check engine light is on constantly... Also, it's obvious it's using too much gas... I'm having it hooked up to read the computer tomorrow and see what that says... I also want to know, what the car would run like if water got in the gas... help help help...

If I remember correctly people have had a hard time finding that EGR tube, since it's only available on the vaccum EGR's, between 88-90. Hopefully you can find one quickly.

Ok, the egr isn't cracked or damaged in any way. The leak was in that tube which was cracked and we tried replacing it with the tube out of an 89 Z24 and a N/A 3.1, both were too long and when we tried to bend the one out of the Z24 it cracked. So we used wire support mesh, exhaust leak putty (jb weld or something like that) and exhaust wrap to create a bandage cause like he said, the part new, cost $130, and there certainly aren't any TGPs in j/ys around here. It seems to have worked or at least is still holding. We have fixed and replaced everything that could cause this and it still is doing it. And I would like to take the fuel injectors to be ohmed but as of now this car is my DD so it's not possible to rip the engine apart. Also, like I said before the fuel injectors were replaced in 2004 and were absolutely fine a week ago. I'm going to have the codes read today because everyone has NO idea what's going on, we're all completely stumped...so hopefully the car will have a better idea of what's wrong with it... I just want to make it clear that the car was absolutely fine exactly one week and a day ago which is exactly why we are all so stumped... it honestly ran smoother and better than my mom's 2005 Honda Accord, I've had no problems until I put that Lucas fuel cleaner in it... any ideas?

And I really wish it was that easy (the egr) but the one in my car really isn't damaged. The exhaust sound is gone and we never bumped it or anything...it really is like a curse or a phantom in my car... :evil:

Maybe there's a killer after you? :dunno:

No but seriously, get a fuel pressure gauge and test the pressure at the rail. Did you remove the pressure regulator vac tube and inspect for gas smells?

I didn't actually change the filter, my friends dad did while I was at work, I will ask him though... And thanks for the help so far, it is helping and giving me ideas and everything, I'm just so stressed out and this, this is the cherry...which is on the CoolWhip, that's on the icing that's on the ice-cream cake...so yeah, just really need your guys' help cause I just have no idea at this point, I will ask what happened when he changed the fuel filter though.

I'm glad you asked..we just finally got it hooked up to the computer last night, and even though it was replaced (not with new) it has something to do with the map sensor and the tubes connected to it...soooo I'm gonna get a new map sensor and clean all the tubes and that SHOULD fix it...it better!

have you ever used the paperclip method?

before, I always used a snap off scan tool at my friends work, but that was not always so convenient so I have been just doing the paperclip method because its easy as hell.

in fact I just freshened up on it in the faq section and am going out right now to see if there is a code on mine.