Gas Mileage...

SSEiyah93

Ok, does anyone know what I can do to help my gas mileage and if a tune-up really did help anyone that greatly that they noticed a difference? I'm getting a little over 300 miles out of a tank of super-premium, about 308 on average. It costs about $70 to fill up my car and the driving I do I have to fill it up about twice a week... Any advice would be appreciated! (BTW-I'm not a speed freak, I realize driving style is the main factor in gas mileage.)

Tuneup, fuel filter, fuel injectors, make sure your cat isn't plugged, having a rebuilt exhaust crossover.

New GM O2 sensor (NOT BOSCH) would help too if it's old. Check tire pressure.. etc.

These cars seems to vary a lot with mileage. People say they're getting 35mpg and others (like yourself and I) are only getting 20. I've been getting 300/tank out of my Cutlass week to week.. I want to replace the O2 when I have a chance, the cat's original but I don't feel like paying for that at the moment, at least the O2 I can handle myself (hate dealing with exhaust).

New GM O2 sensor (NOT BOSCH) would help too if it's old. Check tire pressure.. etc.

These cars seems to vary a lot with mileage. People say they're getting 35mpg and others (like yourself and I) are only getting 20. I've been getting 300/tank out of my Cutlass week to week.. I want to replace the O2 when I have a chance, the cat's original but I don't feel like paying for that at the moment, at least the O2 I can handle myself (hate dealing with exhaust).

I agree...I'm looking for cheaper and easy ways to get my gas mileage to be a little better. What's the point in spending hundreds of dollars right now to get a mile or two more to the gallon!? :confused: And I know in my Bonneville I got between 35-40mpg ( :eek:) on the highway and like 20-25mpg in the highway...that was awesome and totally worth paying out the ass for premium. I can't imagine how people are getting above 25mpg in a TGP...I even saw one guy who said he got 40!?

I usually average around 20. Thats mostly country and small town driving. The one tank that was alomost all highway i did around 23-24, but that was also goin between 75-85 the whole time. Probably the only way my TGP would get around 30 would be highway driving at 55-60. And whats the point of that lol?

i don't even really harp on mine, well okay ya i do, but not all the time. However it's still like, ALL original other than plugs/wires...yeeeaaa

I agree...I'm looking for cheaper and easy ways to get my gas mileage to be a little better. What's the point in spending hundreds of dollars right now to get a mile or two more to the gallon!? :confused: And I know in my Bonneville I got between 35-40mpg ( :eek:) on the highway and like 20-25mpg in the highway...that was awesome and totally worth paying out the ass for premium. I can't imagine how people are getting above 25mpg in a TGP...I even saw one guy who said he got 40!?

40mpg in a Bonneville hmm....I have owned many and not got even close to that mileage even the EPA window sticker does not state anything even near 40 mpg hwy. Were you coasting down hill most of the trip?

40mpg in a Bonneville hmm....I have owned many and not got even close to that mileage even the EPA window sticker does not state anything even near 40 mpg hwy. Were you coasting down hill most of the trip?

No, that was driving on highways through PA and Ohio, hills and all and it wasn't going 50 either, it was between 65-80mph, and I must remind you that was between 35-40mpg...I know it was over 35 but doubt it was 40, still though, I calculated it at 37mpg. :gr_grin: The thing I loved about that car and why I want another one is the way the engine, transmission and supercharger worked. At 75mph on the parkway I was revving at about 2200rpm... The supercharger could keep the car moving half the time... And because of it's weight and the transmission on normal country/suburban roads I could get going and coast for miles, if there was a hill I could ride it forever... I can't really explain it, I didn't have anything done to it or anything, just a new transmission, it just was amazing on gas :dunno: ...it may have just been special which is now making me think I really SHOULD fix it :eek: ... I could fill the gas tank and even driving on the parkway downtown and through downtown, plus driving around at home and running errands and driving all over on the weekends, a full tank of gas would last me almost 2 weeks!!! :nana: ... I really miss it... :bawling1:

I get 35 mpg in mine at 73 mph.

I get 35 mpg in mine at 73 mph.

my latest Bonneville was a GXP so I guess my mileage figures are tainted now lol. I owned a 2003 SSEI and I dont remember it being much better that the GXP on gas but its hard to have a light foot with a supercharger. Suprisingly the TGP got like 400 miles to a tank when I drove from DE to NY and back a few weeks ago.

I might be taking my TGP to Chicago soon which is almost 500 miles from me and I'm excited to see what I'd average on that long of a trip almost all highway. :biggrin: And way to go Chris, backin' me up and what an awesome car a Bonneville is! :cheers: And I have done research to see exactly why my SSEi got such good gas mileage and have figured it out...and in a newer SSEi it wouldn't be as good, mainly because of the computer settings, transmission and torque range. In my 93' The top torque kicked in at 2200rpm I believe, so like I said, on the highway the car could stay in lower rpms and the torque produced by the s/c would pull the car in turn saving gas, in the city mpg were ok because you didn't have to kick the s/c in and get moving then the weight would carry the car, it could just coast. On suburban roads the car could get moving and coast and you could just keep it in O/D as long as possible and when you hit the gas it would be in the low rpms and the s/c moved the car not the engine...hence GREAT GAS MILEAGE!!! :mrgreen: I'm gonna get another one as soon as I can...or could go ahead and fix mine... i just don't know..

Yeah the pre 2000 model Bonneville SSEis are so much better than the newer ones robably the only fault I could give them is rear drum brakes.

My TGP averages around 28mpg overall. On the highway, it does 32mpg easily.

Well how the hell are you getting such good gas mileage!!??!!

Exactly.

Let's look at it this way, I went from stoplight action to controlled decent never exceding the speed limits and taking my time to get there driving....the result was more than 100 extra miles on that tank. Was it easy? Not really, honestly. But I need to do it to save gas.

See that's what I've been doing...well honestly other than my Corsica I haven't beat on my cars AT ALL....every now and then when it must be done I'll race someone or just for fun WOT it and merging of course...but I drive my car extremely nice...I think it's just all the goddamn traffic I get in...and for that much I do get great mpg for city driving... I'll let you know cause this tank seems to be lasting extra long and I've been using cruise on the parkway, which anyone who knows Pittsburgh knows how the parkway is... It may be a lot better.

Well how the hell are you getting such good gas mileage!!??!!

My car runs great & the majority of my driving is on the highway = good mileage!

And mine could primarily be considered city seeing as I very rarely am on a highway for many miles where I can go at a controlled speed...usually it's rush hour traffic or dumb suburban schmucks who can't drive to save the world!