Fuse Keeps BLowing, No Dash Lights

2002ls1z

Just got a mint '01 Buick Century with 89k for my daily driver. I had my mechanic put it on the rack and inspect it before purchase, pulled a carfax on it and everything looked great. Then I drove it at night and discovered I had no instrument cluster or dash lighting. I checked my fuses and the 7.5 amp fuse that controls the dash lighting was blown. I replaced the fuse and it blew again on startup. What could be causing this? Car is all stock with the exception of an aftermarket CD player. Big money to fix? I rarely drive at night anyway.

Help!

I plan on getting a better head unit anyway within the next week or so. What could the actual problem be, loose wire? Should a new head unit solve this issue?

most definately the HU. a problem like that is all too common. probably a pinched wire or incorrect pinning. pull it out and test it before you get bigger problems

The radio should be on a seperate fuse, but as carkhz316 said it's likely the illumination/dimmer wire from the dash light harness.

Besides that, make sure there's no change in the bottom of your cigarette lighter/power point that's shorting it out.

Besides that, make sure there's no change in the bottom of your cigarette lighter/power point that's shorting it out.

This man speaks the truth.

Is a new dimmer switch hard to put in? I looked at the dash and can't tell what I would need to remove to replace it. I'm going to get the radio first and hope that cures it. Otherwise, what am I looking at if I take it in somewhere and have them look at it? Does it normally take them a long time to find a problem like this? I can most likely put a dimmer switch in, but that's about the extent of my mechanical skills.

Could be that the previous owner put the head unit in and didn't crimp the illumination wire, or poorly taped it and it may just be touching the metal chassis of the stereo or another metal piece in your dash. If you can get the head unit out and crimp the wire with a butt connector or make sure its taped up good with elictrical tape, it's most likely the problem and would be a very easy fix.

Been there before, as others have said, the illumination wire is a) loose B) touching metal.

take the deck out and disconnect the illumination wire.. no one ever uses that anyways.

could very well be something to do with the cigarette lighter but i think it is on a different fuse. just the light for the lighter.

I believe the power for the cigarette lighter is on the CTSY fuse, but the lighting shouldn't be on the same.

In the first gens the lighter is on the CTSY fuse and I'm pretty sure the lighting is as well. Well, at least interior lighting, maybe not dash lighting. Not sure.

I'm pretty certain the dash lighting aren't the CTSY fuse. My Lumina had the same problem as the OP has, where it would blow the CTSY fuse everytime I opened a door or turned on the dome light. That fuse ran the power door locks, dome light, door lights(window and lock switches), and cig lighter.

yea I guess that makes sense because the dash lights would be on the same circuit as the dimmer switch which obviously isn't hooked up to the interior lights :rolleyes: (well, the dimming part anyway :lol:) whoops. They should pretty much be by themselves on that circuit then.