Used Cutlass Supreme Convertible

olds cutlass

I ran across a 95 Cutlass Convertible yesterday. The guy wants $2950.00 for it. The car looks great, no dents, a few scratches on the driver door. The top looks new. It has leather seats, small worn spot on drivers seat, other than that the interior looks new so I dont think the top has been down much on it. It has 190K miles on it. It is dark green with tan interior and top. The big draw back to me is that it has the 3.4 and I have been told to stay away from these motors. The guy said that he just put a valve cover gasket on it. Have not listened to the motor or drove the car yet. Is it worth what he's asking or should I walk away? Are these motors as good on gas as the 3.1. I have a 96 Supreme that is the same color with a 3.1 that runs great and think that it would look cool with two supreme's same color one hard top and one drop top setin in the driveway. Plus my wife wants it so bad she cant stand it. I just dont want to drop 3K and turn around and put 3K into it.

What would you suggest guys?

It gets worse gas mileage and the tranny's fail more often behind it. Check for service records of the timing belt replacement. It sounds like an okay car but with that mileage I wouldn't give $3k though.

Way overpriced with that much mileage on it. Plus it is 13 years old. If it's outstanding it would be worth maybe $2000 tops. Plus you don't know about any of the maintenance history on it.

Don't be intimidated by the big bad 3.4, if maintained correctly they are just as reliable as the overhead valve pushrod motors.

That's my opinion. If you want it really bad, take 2 grand cash and see if he goes for it. If not, walk away.

I may go back a drive it and if it sounds ok and drives good I may offer 1850.00 for it. I did notice that the weather stripping around the back windows is messed up and reading on here it appears that they are hard to come by as well as a lot of other parts. Do they get damaged from raising and lowering the top?

I may go back a drive it and if it sounds ok and drives good I may offer 1850.00 for it. I did notice that the weather stripping around the back windows is messed up and reading on here it appears that they are hard to come by as well as a lot of other parts. Do they get damaged from raising and lowering the top?

Yes. I plan on trying the Camaro/Firebird weatherstrip mod that Jake63 came up with.

I went back and drove the 95 convertible last night. I figured with the way my coupe runs and drives at 256K miles that the vert with 190K should run and drive about the same. It was obvious as soon as we pulled out of the driveway that the vert had not been maintained the same way I have maintained my coupe. The vert popped and creeked on all four corners, something, I think the rack would pop right under my feet every time got hard on the gas. Sounded like all four wheel bearings were roaring, you could hear it with the top down. Pulled to the right while cruising along, punch it and it would take off to the left. The 3.4 would idle smooth but tach it up to about 3K rpm and it would vibrate real bad. Not like a miss but maybe out of time. She looked great setting still, top was new and went up and down perfectly, paint was good, but the drive train was gone. It had been registered on Signal Mnt. Tn since 96. They must have lived way off the main road for the drive train to be in that bad of shape. The only way I see it sells is if some teenage girl begs her daddy for it and daddy doesnt know what he's getting into.