• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vegeta

• GnatGoSplat

• carl

• Brian P

I bet a 3.4 with a turbo is an easy low 14, high 13 sec car. But good luck gettin rid of the heat under the hood. My z34 was always hotter then hell under the hood.

I have no idea, but hopefully pretty fast.

My main concern with the 3.4 and a turbo, is durability.

dont forget about the transmission

cooling, and tranny, and probably gaskets, seals and such are probably the only thing keeping high boost from the LQ1..... as for the 3800 and L67, they may be good engines, but I just don't like the way they sound :P

Back with the speculations. The trans is the only thing I would worry about. Engine internals, not likely. Gaskets? Who knows, but considering a fiero has had a turbo DOHC for a while I think thats a decent start for a track record. low 14s? HAHAHAHA, hell no. That would be what, 4 psi on a completely stock engine and hardly any tuning? I dunno, but the volumetric efficiency of the DOHC means more power per pound, more power per shot of nitrous. Everything the pushrods do for gains, the DOHC does much better.

Shawn if you have something to ask or say to me, here I am.

Welcome to the board!

Ben has done pretty well speaking on your behalf, so I can't think of a whole lot to ask or say that hasn't already been said or answered.

Thanks for the welcome, I feel really welcome when people pretty much call me a slowass and say I'm wasting my time. I do have a life other than trolling boards and working on engines.

Look.. I know who you are, and you know who I am. You know we both go way back to the beginning.. I take these comments in this thread as personal shots.

As far as the 3800 penis envy bs, personally I think the 3800's are crap. I could tell you why, but you really would'nt give a damn. You know how to reach me on AIM or MSN if need be.

sounds like theres allot of " if I had a turbo 3.4 i'd bla bla bla "... If you dont have a turbo on your 3.4 please dont say " A 3.4 with this turbo would beat that 3.8 piece of crap any day " because the bottm line is you dont know. The bottom line is today my 3800 will out run your 3400. Im sure well hear " O yea will just wait, im gonna bla, bla, bla " The 3800 and the 3400 both have a shit load of potential.

What are you smoking? There isnt a single post saying "If I had a turbo..." Back to reality, there are 2 cars with a turbo DOHC, and neither is tuned. Takes time because they have to do it themselves.

Im done posting in this thread, its just not important and I can't stand listening to the same old crap.

What are you smoking?Back to reality, there are 2 cars with a turbo DOHC, and neither is tuned. Takes time because they have to do it themselves.

Thats putting it lightly.

Anyway, everybody has their own favorite engine, no reason to bitch about it. Why not put your efforts to good use and argue about what paint color makes your car faster?

Thanks for the welcome, I feel really welcome when people pretty much call me a slowass and say I'm wasting my time. I do have a life other than trolling boards and working on engines.

Look.. I know who you are, and you know who I am. You know we both go way back to the beginning.. I take these comments in this thread as personal shots.

As far as the 3800 penis envy bs, personally I think the 3800's are crap. I could tell you why, but you really would'nt give a damn. You know how to reach me on AIM or MSN if need be.

Personal shots? Please. Reality check: I never once mentioned you by name. Even if I had, which I didn't, I was talking about CARS and ENGINES. I never once called YOU, the man himself, anything at all. If you feel someone calling your car slow is a "personal shot", then I think you have other issues. In life, you're not going to win everyone's praise and approval; deal with it. I really couldn't care less what you do with your time. Lots of people think things that I enjoy spending my time on are a big waste of time. You don't see me whining about it.

Guess what? I don't buy into the "3800's are crap" cult following. I've seen both 60 and 90-degree engines torn down, driven both, and come to my own conclusion that the 3800 is very good engine. I didn't even really give a shit before, but all this garbage about 3800's being crap actually makes me want to go out and get one.

Shawn is right. I dont understand how you guys can say the 3800sc is a crappy motor. I didnt want to say this but its actually one of the best motors that GM has developed. Everyone has there own opinion but anyone who says the 3.8 is crap, obviously has no wrench time at all. Im not sayin your dumb, you just dont know what your talkin about. :D

okay ladies, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so what if 1 person doesnt like 3800's? fuck them and try to impress all the other people that are in love with them. noone has to please anyone on this board. everything has their own f-ing opinion and you cant change that. personally i like 3800's, thats my opinion, and i have another opionon about engines, an engine is an ENGINE, some have positives, some have negative, some have more positives, some have more negatives. let by-gones be by-gones. pick an engine and STICK to it and dont make fun of other peoples choice! yes, you have an opinion, no, not everyone wants to hear it and no, not everyone is going to aggree with it

The point is everyone knows the 3800 is one of the best engines GM has ever developed thats why it has hung around for 20 years (Basically).

It's incredibly reliable, gets great mileage and has awesome low end in supercharged or N/A form and you don't need a college degree to work on one comparatively to a DOHC. Personally I wish I would have bought another one instead of this DOHC crap. Sure it can rev to 7k but it just doesn't last compared to a simple pushrod. For practical everyday use like probably most of these people use their cars the 3800 is a much better choice. By the way I own both.

I havent posted on this board in a while, but when people start talking this dumb sh@t i got to step in. I have experince with many motors and came to the conclusion that their is only one good thing about the 3.4 DOHC it didnt take GM long to think up the peicew of shit, all they did was copy of the quad 4 and barely made 10 more horses out of the 1.1more liters. And for the 3800 motors they are by far supiourer to any other GM V6, but I still give props to the 3.1 turbo motor that would smoke any 3.4DOHC any day. im so glad that GM finally killed that discusting thing.

P.S. just to let everyone now I drive a buick regal that will smoke all of you. you better have a fuel injected big block to beat me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah I agree :lol: but I still have a special place in my heart for the LQ1 just because of its uniqueness and the joy it brings at my 4t60 limited shift point of 6250. I just get angry with it sometimes :lol: .

Oh my! I've stumbled unto another DOHC vs. Pushrod battle.

By the way I own both.

SmokesGTP, which side shall I take?

Same here, with owning both motors there's way too much to compare & contend the two head-to-head.

From a engineering aspect I love the DOHC... one of the motor in it's time to have such features. Small displacement, great high-end power, and still get good econ. It has the character of any good actor... it'll do whatever you want it to do... cruise - easy; power - no problems; acceleration - awesome while moving. But yet, with the general public not realizing the maintenance issues before purchacing was the biggest problem. Yeah, you can contribute the death of the DOHC due to "new-age" technology and no history under it's belt; but also noticing the disturbing trend of non-internal repairs. I like it too much not to tinker with it.

And there's the L36 / L67 which have survived, been updated and now currently dominate GM's mid-size powertrain line-up. Why? Just like all have you said: reliability. The pushrods of today are steardy, down to the wire intact with having little or no warrenty [post-warrenty included] problems... mainly slightly leaking gaskets and motor mounts. The pushrod is extremely smooth and comforting on a relaxing drive, but can be opened up to pass traffic, take a joy ride and kill your favorite local ricer on a ego-boost. This motor and drivetrain DO have a lot going for them.

So how can you compare the two? I think you can't... honestly. They're two seperate designs with different attributes and attitudes. Let's put it this way, where would we be if the DOHC was mated to the 4T65-E or even a Getrag 284+ [or 286 / 282; for more power basically] currently and updated after 10+ years of engineering modification and strengthening? Would there be such a backlash? Perhaps.

Bottom Line: Give it a rest on the engine aurguments. Vegeta you love the DOHC since you gone above & beyond the rest of us "basic" home repair-men. You've tapped the power that us have been dying to have. Same with Aaron & SuperBuick with a 5-speed and TimG, he's loving the boosted DOHC. Yet, GnatGoSplat, Robby1870, and even myself like having to deal with powertrain issues and that's where the Pushrod prevails to some extent. C'mon guys, you KNOW everyone has a favorite, a personal opinion on what's better... and not statistics, drag-races or even side-by-side comparsions is going to kill that love.

- Erik [/stepping down from Soap Box]

hey redfox have you took yor car to the dealer ship yet for the recall they had on the L36 leaky intakes.

Yeah, I've recieved that letter.

I'm reading up on that to the fullest knowledge I can recieve.

There's some issues on there that I don't want to discuss on this thread.

:lol: Nice Post, you put a lot into that.

I hope you were laughing at the ending comment...

Thanks. Being on both ends of the spectrum does help out in such a dispute.

- Erik